Tudor crown help

rogart63

Question

Hi all you tinkers out there . Long time since i was here . Have been busy and not feeling to good. Been a little low. I need your help with a Tudor oysterquartz crown . It has a Rolex style crown . The tube is damaged and someone has been trying to fix it by grinding of a 6 sided part from an other crown or a larger crown. I saw repair kits for Rolex crowns on Ebay. Will they work for a Tudor crown also? It's a pretty small crown at around 5,3 mm . Crown hat is okay. I have 2 crowns . The owner bought a bad crown from Ebay. It was broken when it arrived. 

6 answers to this question

Hi Rogart. Good to see you posting here again. Sorry to hear you haven’t been feeling great. The current global circumstances don’t help, but I am optimistic that things are going to get better quite soon!

I don’t fully understand your question. Is it the “pendant tube” which is faulty? Is this a screw-down crown?

Rolex and Tudor shared crowns up until the mid 70’s or so; then Tudor ones got the shield in place of the coronet. 

A Rolex, or aftermarket, 5030 tube should work. Wholesale outlet 990 on eBay sells decent ones cheaply. 

Do you have the tools to remove and install the tube?

Edited by Tudor
  • Like 1

Hi Rogar, good to see you back posting again, though I saw a post of yours about 3 weeks ago, am pretty sure I did PM you just to say. 

Sorry don't have a signed genuine crown, might have a Swiss crown to fit. 

Best wishes.

Hi Guys 

Thanks i will have a look there. Have some pictures here. Have no tool but sure can borrow or i buy a horotec or something cheaper. The tube is 1,8 mm in diameter for the crown that is 5,3 mm . Inside is a 963.... movement. I need the tube and the 6 sided part inside that screws to the stem. The spring is propably ok . But maybe follows with the repair kit . I think the crown tube could work. It has good threads. 

DSC00713.JPG

DSC00711.JPG

DSC00710.JPG

Edited by rogart63
9 hours ago, Tudor said:

Rolex and Tudor shared crowns up until the mid 70’s or so; then Tudor ones got the shield in place of the coronet. 

A Rolex, or aftermarket, 5030 tube should work. Wholesale outlet 990 on eBay sells decent ones cheaply. 

Do you have the tools to remove and install the tube?

I have bought from them before. i have a check . 

• Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

• Topics

• As with all indirectly driven min wheel, you wouldn't know about the jewel that min arbour (center seconds) runs through unless you take the min wheel off and inspect all its components under good magnifiction, then you run the risk of the wheel coming loose a few months after reassembly, even when you peen the hole on the minute wheel you can't be sure it stays put for long, when reassembled.  Oiling both sides of pinion on center second is a must and tricky task as the oil might run down on the pinion, lucky giving it an epilame coat helps a lot.  The piece is not ultra rare, yet one worthy of collection is pricy.  I do have some parts to it, so please keep us posted as to how it goes. Good luck. joe      
    • I use stock hands or aftermarket hands, depending on what I think looks good. I tend to use stock hands (with their awesome lumibrite) more, but sometimes I switch it up. I'd like to say that this is always an intentional choice, but sometimes I fumble the hand installation and break a factory hand. I've gotten way better at installing watch hands, but I'm still not perfect. I am considering purchasing a Horotec Watch Tool Hand Press after a particularly painful and expensive loss of a handset from a watch I really liked. I'll be posting separately on this. No plans for indices, lumed or unlumed, in the future ... other than the blued chapter rings I'm still working on. I need to recover my initial costs before buying the equipment I need to ensure a consistent blue, so the chapter rings are still paused. That'd be cool, but no way in heck I'm capable of that. I'll leave that to the pros. 😉 For whatever reason, I've never owned or desired to own a chronograph.  I spent a few hours photographing the watches I've built to date instead of grinding fordite dials over the weekend. I'd like to write a guide for watch photography for folks ... but I've still got a ton to learn.
    • That is a BFG866  - not too difficult to find, and I may even have a donor in my stash. I'd need to check. http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-db.cgi?10&ranfft&&2uswk&Baumgartner_866 https://17jewels.info/movements/b/baumgartner/baumgartner-866/ Your version is the 17 Jewel Calendar version, but I think most parts are interchangeable between the different versions. Cousins have some parts. https://www.cousinsuk.com/category/filter/bfg-movement-parts Cousins also have the service manual which will detail the differences between the different versions. https://www.cousinsuk.com/PDF/categories/2529_BFG 866,866.31.7.pdf More about BFG here. http://www.mikrolisk.de/show.php?site=280&suchwort=Baumgartner&searchWhere=all#sucheMarker
    • It should be a standard train layout for an indirect-drive centre seconds. So, extended pivot on third wheel. Driving wheel mounted to that extended pivot. Centre-seconds pinion runs down hollow cannon pinion. Friction spring is there to create enough drag to get rid of "slop".
    • Good story and very informative. This is why I purchased the mini bench