Floating Balance

Hi after replacing 3 springs on 400 day clock and now have to order 3 more, i thought i will have a go at a HAC small single train clock with floating balance

and wanted to be safe then sorry before i take it apart am i right in thinking that you remove the pin, feed spring through and undo the retaining screws to remove the balance

IMG_20201120_093849392.jpg

That doesn't look like a floating balance. It's a pin pivot balance. Yes, you are right. You have to remove the hairspring pin, remove the hairspring from the regulator then loosen the pivot well to remove the balance. Be gentle with the hairspring as it can be damaged very easily.

Do i take off the  clutch ( sorry if that's the wrong terminology)to take off the centre wheel can't see any clips or pin holding it in place, and then lever the wheel off please correct me if I  wrong on any terms 

16058761869801755751843.jpg

Do not remove that center wheel there is no need. With that balance (it is not a floating balance) make sure the pivots are nice and pointed, Imagine a pointed pencil that has just been sharpened that is how you want the pivots to look it also will give the balance a good action. If by chance they are blunt you will need a lathe to sharpen them, also check the cups for smoothness in side as well. 

Here is a clock movement with a floating fitted balance    

rs-disassembling_6.jpg

thanks oldhippy unfortunately i don't have, or have access to a lathe will check the pivots and hope for the best it's from a HAC single train clock and i bought it because of that type of balance as i have not done one before, thanks for the photo i can see the difference now. One more thing is it ok to put in the cleaner with the pillars and clutch attached

Edited by Willow
added contents
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi all finally got the hands to move more freely reassembled movement, clock ticking my first balance spring movement can you help me with putting this type of clock in beat how do i know when its in beat, how do i a just it and how does the regulator work it doesn't seem to do anything when i move it left or right. Thanks in advanced.

IMG_20201204_101855618_HDR.jpg

IMG_20201204_101826765_HDR.jpg

The impulse pin should be as near center as possible in the pallets, you need it to sound as a nice event tick, in order to get this right you might need to move the balance collect to the left or right to achieve this. If you find that it is way out in time keeping say its gaining a lot and the regulator is unable to  make any difference you need to let the hairspring out the opposite is required if the clock is losing a lot, you then move the balance collect into the center of the pallets. If the collect is tight you might need to remove the collect from the staff in order to get it right. Not all types of these movements will start up automatically when in beat unlike a watch, winding it up gets it going.       

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.