Floating Balance

Hi after replacing 3 springs on 400 day clock and now have to order 3 more, i thought i will have a go at a HAC small single train clock with floating balance

and wanted to be safe then sorry before i take it apart am i right in thinking that you remove the pin, feed spring through and undo the retaining screws to remove the balance

IMG_20201120_093849392.jpg

That doesn't look like a floating balance. It's a pin pivot balance. Yes, you are right. You have to remove the hairspring pin, remove the hairspring from the regulator then loosen the pivot well to remove the balance. Be gentle with the hairspring as it can be damaged very easily.

Do i take off the  clutch ( sorry if that's the wrong terminology)to take off the centre wheel can't see any clips or pin holding it in place, and then lever the wheel off please correct me if I  wrong on any terms 

16058761869801755751843.jpg

Do not remove that center wheel there is no need. With that balance (it is not a floating balance) make sure the pivots are nice and pointed, Imagine a pointed pencil that has just been sharpened that is how you want the pivots to look it also will give the balance a good action. If by chance they are blunt you will need a lathe to sharpen them, also check the cups for smoothness in side as well. 

Here is a clock movement with a floating fitted balance    

rs-disassembling_6.jpg

thanks oldhippy unfortunately i don't have, or have access to a lathe will check the pivots and hope for the best it's from a HAC single train clock and i bought it because of that type of balance as i have not done one before, thanks for the photo i can see the difference now. One more thing is it ok to put in the cleaner with the pillars and clutch attached

Edited by Willow
added contents