Demagnetizing a tweezer

Hello dear watchmakers.

I recently bought a Swiss made tweezer in steel and found out that it is magnetized.

Compass is dancing as I put this tweezer near it.

I tried demagnetizing the tweezer with demagnetizer (cheap one from China) but it isn't working.

I usually demagnetize parts using this and worked fine.

This tweezer is not losing is magnetism and I need help.

Any tips would be of great help:)

KakaoTalk_20201120_152151278.jpg

I don't know about this one you have. I had the same sort but not a Chinese one and it worked fine. Have you followed the instructions on how to use it. You know you can buy  tweezers and screwdrivers that are anti magnetic. There are videos on Youtube about how to use that tool. 

• Like 1

These blue boxes usually work fine, if the tweezers are still magnetized try again. Remember to put the tweezers over the tool and hold the red button pressed while you slowly move the tweezers away from the tool, at least one meter. Then you can release the button and test again if it worked.

• Like 3

Donald De Carle in his book advocates wrapping the balance with tissue when de magnetising in order to protect the balance spring, as Quoted in Practical Watch Repairing chapter 21 with practical drawings and how to build your own.

Mine is larger and well tested having used it in excess of 20 years. When build it was tested on various scrap movements to good effect and also tools.  No pictures as it may be again condemed.  I have dismantled some of the foreign Line release/demagnetisers and their quality leaves somthing to be desired as regards the quality of the soldering an wiring. You pay your money and take the chance that you get a good one. or pay through the nose for bergeon.

• Thanks 1

Using Brass tweezers or tweezers that are non magnetic makes working on watches so much easier. However I have noticed many pro watch makers have tape wrapped around the top of their tweezers which I presume is to either aid grip or to help eliminate static. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/21/2020 at 3:40 AM, clockboy said:

Using Brass tweezers or tweezers that are non magnetic makes working on watches so much easier. However I have noticed many pro watch makers have tape wrapped around the top of their tweezers which I presume is to either aid grip or to help eliminate static. 

On 11/20/2020 at 11:03 PM, watchweasol said:

Donald De Carle in his book advocates wrapping the balance with tissue when de magnetising in order to protect the balance spring, as Quoted in Practical Watch Repairing chapter 21 with practical drawings and how to build your own.

Mine is larger and well tested having used it in excess of 20 years. When build it was tested on various scrap movements to good effect and also tools.  No pictures as it may be again condemed.  I have dismantled some of the foreign Line release/demagnetisers and their quality leaves somthing to be desired as regards the quality of the soldering an wiring. You pay your money and take the chance that you get a good one. or pay through the nose for bergeon.

On 11/20/2020 at 8:44 PM, oldhippy said:

The main worry about a  demagnetizer is not to have one that is too powerful so it doesn't distort the hairspring.  Always stick to the watch supplies types. 

On 11/20/2020 at 8:15 PM, watchweasol said:

I use a large coil driven by a transformer which is a larger scale than the blue box It demagnetises every thing. the tweezers vibrate like a tuning fork in the eddy current. It was made from redundant computer disk drive voice coil and a VDU transformer, a bit of a beast but a worker.

On 11/20/2020 at 6:44 PM, HectorLooi said:

Do you feel the tweezer vibrating slightly when you press the red button? If you don't, the demagnetizer might be defective.

On 11/20/2020 at 5:18 PM, aac58 said:

These blue boxes usually work fine, if the tweezers are still magnetized try again. Remember to put the tweezers over the tool and hold the red button pressed while you slowly move the tweezers away from the tool, at least one meter. Then you can release the button and test again if it worked.

On 11/20/2020 at 4:58 PM, oldhippy said:

I don't know about this one you have. I had the same sort but not a Chinese one and it worked fine. Have you followed the instructions on how to use it. You know you can buy  tweezers and screwdrivers that are anti magnetic. There are videos on Youtube about how to use that tool. 

I really appreciate all of your replies!

I tried striking the tweezer with a hammer and tried demagnetizer.

Tweezer lost most of its magnetizm by hammering I think.

Thank you ?