Automatic mainspring

gary17

Hi

Guys

I have asked this before so i am sorry, but i have put a pic up the best i can gedo,hoping someone can explain it to me so i understand.

Below is a mainspring. The one i have numbered number 1 is what i call the mainspring and the number 2 is the bit added on so it catches and does not over wind.

My understanding is that number 2 goes against the wall of the barrel?

In most cases i have seen it has to, so the arbour catches the spring.Plus it tends to want to bend that way

But if i put the number 2 piece against the barrel wall of the arbour it cannot be configured to catch the spring in the middle. I have tried every differnt way you can imagine left turning, right turning, arbour up, arbour down and it don't work.

If i put it in so the arbour and spring are correct either the number 2 piece sticks out or worse still it snaps off.IMG_20201118_150526.thumb.jpg.b4ff73f3f33fe59677f1fc2dd210b777.jpgI know its not ideal winding a spring by hand but you do what you have to do with what you have. I have had this problem on nearly every spring i have tried to insert. Know problem when it comes pre wound. So can someone explain this to me and tell me how i shouild do it or what i am doing wrong.

cheers

gary

The click shows you which direction( clock or anticlcok)  ratchet wheel therefore the arbour should turn to wind.

Examine the arbour to see which end goes in the barrel and which into the cover hole, thereby direction arbour hook should sit( clock/ anticlock) is found.

Mainspring should go in so to catch the hook.

The part you numbered 2 is called spindle.

Good luck.