Can't move hands with Crown

Gra
Go to solution Solved by Poljot,

Question

Only just getting into this hobby, bought a tatty Montine watch to practice on, it has an AS5203 movement.
I have cleaned it, re-oiled as re-assembled (video' the disassembly so I could confirm where everything went), the watch is running fine although the setting lever spring is broken at the base.
My problem is I cannot set the hands although I can alter date wheel. When I bought it the hands could be set fine.
I've redone the work again with the same result, I've obviously got something wrong but cannot figure out what.
With the dial off you can see the wheels trying to turn but they seem to be fighting the train of wheels.
Any ideas please!

11 answers to this question

Hi   You have obviousy got it locking  I should dismantle the keyless work and re assemble bit by bit checking the motion as you go through it.  It is always prudent to take pictures front and back before you start and during the teardown to enable easier assembly  I have attached the tech sheet for you just in case you have not got it.

AS 5200, 5201, 5202, 5203, 5204, 5206 (2).pdf

• Solution

It appears that the Setting Lever spring is not doing anything and about to fall off.

Check if it's damaged and if you correctly installed the Setting Lever (and everything in between 🙂 ). I am referring to item 443 & 445 on the diagram, which was provided by 'watchweasol'.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the advice guys, I've stripped the watch down again to start from scratch, the setting lever spring is indeed broken, ordered replacement from Cousins. 

On rebuild I'll be taking particular note of your suggestions.

16 hours ago, Tuvia said:

Are both the setting wheel and intermediate setting wheel supposed to be touching the minute wheel at the same time? 

HI Tuvia, I have had the movement apart and watched my video of disassembly and there does not seem to be a way of either disengaging, as soon as you put the minute wheel in place everything on the keyless side locks up.

Being a novice I am obviously doing something wrong but I have followed my video closely and cannot see what I've got wrong.

12 hours ago, Poljot said:

It appears that the Setting Lever spring is not doing anything and about to fall off.

Check if it's damaged and if you correctly installed the Setting Lever (and everything in between 🙂 ). I am referring to item 443 & 445 on the diagram, which was provided by 'watchweasol'.

Hi Poljot, just found out my part is actually 445/1 which is out of stock, they have 445 in stock (which I ordered), typical eh! 

I've watched video over and over, everything looks right....but....!

Good day Gra,

I am not familiar with this particular caliber, but i ran into an identical issue with AS2066 movement, p/n 2066.455/1.

I am afraid that 445 will not be a good replacement for 445/1. If you have some suitable tools, you should be able to transfer "missing" component from your broken 445/1 to the new 445.

Based on your last video, move that Long Setting Lever Up and Down until in engages / disengages the Crown Pinion, Winding Wheel, Crown Wheel. I believe this watch allows three different positions for the winding crown: wind, adjust date/calendar, set hands. That is achieved by moving setting lever 443.

Good luck

Edited by Poljot
19 hours ago, Poljot said:

Forgot to mention, that buying a donor watch or a movement is also an option.

Cheers Poljot, managed to find a setting lever spring on ebay, cost as much as the watch 😞

Main problem is still that the 3rd wheel (I think) and the setting wheel are both trying to turn the minute wheel at the same time therefor binding up.

There does not seem to be a separate cannon pinion it is a single piece item.

I'm very confused as I can't find where I could be going wrong. Buggered if I'll give up though 🙂 

Minute wheel.jpg

2 hours ago, Gra said:

Cheers Poljot, managed to find a setting lever spring on ebay, cost as much as the watch 😞

Main problem is still that the 3rd wheel (I think) and the setting wheel are both trying to turn the minute wheel at the same time therefor binding up.

There does not seem to be a separate cannon pinion it is a single piece item.

I'm very confused as I can't find where I could be going wrong. Buggered if I'll give up though 🙂 

The Cannon Pinion Mounted looks fine (item 242 on the parts list). Wait till you get the Setting Lever Spring, install it carefully without breaking the spring, then try to pull the Winding Crown / Stem 1-2-3 positions to see if you can wind the watch (i believe you already were able to do so), and to move hands. Have you try to move the Setting Lever with tweezers or peg-wood to observe how "gears" get engaged / disengaged?  

23 hours ago, nickelsilver said:

The canon pinion is a snap fit in its wheel, and will slip during setting. The intersecting area should be greased.

Thanks Nickelsilver,

Tried to turn it very carefully but couldn't get it to move (probably my cleaning dried it out completely) so left it standing in Moebius 8000 overnight and by morning it was moving great, gave it another clean the oiled with D5 and its working great.

Thanks very much for your great advise.

Graham