Rotary Editions Fault. Please Help!

Hi, any help at all will be greatly appreciated.

I bought a Rotary Editions 511c from America. From first opening the box it has never worked. The seller isn't interested and says it must have been damaged in transit. After getting advice, there's not much I can do. If I do send it back it will end up costing me and if he decides not to refund me I can't actually do much...

Anyway, if I screw out the crown and then turn the stem (sorry if the terminology is incorrect) the watch and mechanics seem to wind (watch is a skeleton face). The watch then works when the crown is clicked back in for 5-10 seconds then it stops again? It lasts 2-3 seconds if I turn the watch on its side etc? To me there doesn't seem any resistance at all when winding.

I've been told (off the seller!) that the stem isn't engaging the spring or the balance wheel is out? I can attach pictures or videos if it will be of any assistance. If someone could point me in the right direction of what the problem could be and/or what is required, it would be great!

Thanks

post-775-0-05219300-1426382863.jpg

Welcome to the forum Paul hope this helps.

I have not worked with the Rotary 511 watch but going on the information you have given it is not winding. Most Rotary watches wind by turning the crown clockwise & least twenty times. When you wind the crown there should be a slight resistants as it winds the mainspring if there is no resistants then it is highly likely that the mainspring is broken & will need replacing. If it has a screw down crown ((to make water resistant) then the crown will need to be unscrewed first before the winding. If it is an automatic watch then the same procedure before the auto takes over.

Edited by clockboy

Hi Paul - and welcome. Just an additional comment or two here. If the mainspring is the cause of the non-winding, then there's no way that it can have broken in transit. It's possible that a balance can be damaged in transit, because they're far more delicate than a mainspring. If someone checks the watch out for you and finds it's a bust mainspring, then you have some redress against the seller because it was probably broken before it was sent to you.

Did you buy the watch on eBay? If so, the seller is under an obligation to ensure that the watch gets to you in the same condition as it was before posting. In which case it might be worth opening a dispute against him/her and getting the money refunded.

Morning gents,

First, thanks for your replies. Yes, the instructions state exactly what you have mentioned clockboy. I screw the crown down and it pops out. I then click the stem out and wind it upwards. When I do this the mechanics all come to life. However, I feel no resistance at all. I then click the crown back in and within 10 seconds the watch totally stops.

It wasn't actually through ebay. He had a similar watch, I got in touch asking for the model I wanted. He had one so I bought it off him. I know it sounds daft, and with hindsight I've been an idiot. But it was cheaper than anywhere else ( and it was said to be in perfect condition, which it is - apart from not working! Haha).

The Watchlab looked at it and said it needed a full service at £175. The watch brand new cost £130!

Gents,

You will not believe this..... The watch is working!! After reading you replies I though I'd just go and get the watch and see if there was anything I could notice when trying to wind up (so I could explain to yourselves)

I popped the crown out, and when I went to wind the stem upwards I heard lots of clicking as I was winding. This hasn't happened before. I clicked the crown back in after 20 turns and at the time of 9:48am it's still working! Hahaha

Do you think there may still be a fault? I honestly tried everything whilst in dispute with the seller. Or does it sound like my error?

Maybe, just keep checking if it for accuracy if it is an Auto providing it s is on your wrist (i.e. movement) it should keep running. The fact that it is running now proves that there is not a lot wrong with it. There could be a intermittent problem with the winding side of things if so you will need a watch repairer to have a look.

Edited by clockboy

on some watches based on the Citizen auto calibres.. winding is acheived by a wheel on a football (american or rugby to you Brits) shaped pivots. Sometimes this is sticky and you need to tap it a bit to get it to sit right.

Anil

• Like 1

The Watchlab looked at it and said it needed a full service at £175.

lol, I'm pretty sure that's a Hangzhou HZ2189. A very common Chinese movement that you can buy brand new for $30. So £175 would be a bit excessive...

lol, I'm pretty sure that's a Hangzhou HZ2189. A very common Chinese movement that you can buy brand new for $30. So £175 would be a bit excessive...

I imagine your right Rob, he just looked on a service list and then pointed to the set Rotary service price. I wonder if they would have charged me if they got it going straight away?!?! Hmmmmmmm :)