BFG 866 movement reassembly - help needed!!

Yasser

Hi,

i am attempting how to reassemble a BFG 866 CLDD movement which was in bits.  I have managed to get it working but am stuck on the dial side as to what goes where? I am new hobbyist and enjoying this new hobby. 

I can figure out the obvious parts on the front dial side and know where they go.

Can someone please either guide me or point me to a photo or a video of someone putting a Day Date version of this BFG 866 CLDD variation movement reassembly.  

Many thanks,

Regards,

Yasser.

Hi Yasser   right,  Have a look via the search function . top right on the home screen.  use the phrase 

""BFG 866 walk through""       then scroll down the results and look for Jon "Baumgartner BFG 866 Walk through"    Jon did quite a comprehensive walk through the diss assembly and re assembly of the BFG 866.  A study of his posts will give you the information  In graphic detail. It is very Good

• Like 3

Hi Weasol,

Thanks for that.  I have studied that walkthrough the other day and it is very good.  It helped me with some things.  I have now PM’d Joe to ask for help as he may have worked on a version like mine.   

I will report back with my findings - hopefully with an assembled dial side.

Many Thanks,

Kind Regards,

Yasser.

Hi Yasser,

I've been looking through my image files, but there are so many. I still have not come across a BFG 866 with day/date, but I've definitely done a few. Where are you in the assembly? If all the parts are OK,I am sure we can figure out how put it back together. I also have many BFG 866 new old stock parts. send pic of where you stopped and what parts you have left. I didn't see any PM in my inbox. Not sure where you are but there may be a time difference live in Brooklyn, NY.

J

• Like 1

Hi @noirrac1j,

My apologies for the slight confusion.  I PM’d ‘Joe’, the gentleman who did the long walk through like yourself with similar photos on another thread.  I am sure you know which one I am talking about as you contributed in the comments there.   He is based in London and teaches Horology, however he is on the other side of the city.   He may have seen this day/date movement.  He hasn’t responded as yet. 

Thanks for your help and it is good to know you that you have some spare parts.  I am waiting for a donor movement to arrive which I purchased on our favourite website for a yoke and a crown wheel screw  before I can proceed with the dial side assembly.   On the dial side, I like to hope that I have all the parts and nothing is missing.     It would be nice to speak to you on the phone via Skype or whatsapp if that is OK.    We can figure this out together and put another guide up showing the day/date variation on the forum for future.      I will PM you with my contact details.

Many Thanks,

Kind Regards,

Yasser

Edited by Yasser

Never seen one of these in the metal, but the squiggly brass bit appears to be the central seconds pinion pressure spring to me.

I can imagine where some of the other bits go as well, for the day and date wheels. Personally, I'd trial and error it and eventually figure it out, as I imagine you have at this point now.

• Like 1

Hi All,

Just am update.  I have received the donor movement and took the couple of parts I needed before I started my attempt on the dial side.   

I believe I am missing 3 parts.  See photos.  If anyone has them as spares, please let me know.  I am not sure the ‘Dial Rest’ part is needed for mine as it was not on the dial.  It’s big enough for not to be missed etc but I may take it if available.   

Regards,

Yasser.

48765522-A9BA-4789-A549-D76EF8D5F940.jpeg

C94B253D-5740-426D-83EE-FA35B1AFE756.jpeg

DDDCF634-99D9-4770-83DC-2DBB6314FF94.jpeg

Thanks @Tudor   I wasn’t sure but will do.   Joe is looking into this for me.

I will post a photo or two later as to where I have got to.   I have figured out all but 3 parts from my previous photos on their location.    

For example, The ‘hour guard’ circular washer is what I am now stuck on.  Where would it go?   Under or over the hour wheel?    I think if I get the other 3 missing parts, we have a working good watch.  Fingers crossed!!

Regards,

Yasser.

@TudorPlease see photos. I have the brass curved washer as well separately.   This is not the 2533.  I am missing that currently.  This is 469 - ‘Hour wheel guard’.   

Also,I could do with help putting that ‘Date Corrector’ in the right place and possibly the right way round.   I think it’s in the wrong place.   Part number 2566.

00BAF22A-7B08-4CF4-86CC-41FE29DA7024.jpeg

A3661D2D-B9E9-417A-A6FD-D57069AA02EE.jpeg

B986A92D-07A5-4A82-B50B-534720222BE2.jpeg

D26796EE-9C07-4923-A513-CF25C8ED3213.jpeg

A3FA39EC-EC73-4C6E-8CFE-B549C8C7335D.jpeg

C07AA690-24C1-4A7C-AE07-A46AEB28AE88.jpeg

C652EF3D-59F6-4DEB-B8A8-4D5E052939CC.jpeg

2E22FE11-AE51-4B17-9BCE-62B9426B02D7.jpeg

@TudorI now know that you were right.  That little washer which I was thinking as part number 469 is actually something completely different and doesn’t belong to this movement.  I have come to this conclusion now spending a fair amount of time trying to figure out where it could possibly fit.  So, I will now leave that out.    It may be that someone previously working on this movement tried to use this as part 2533 - Day star seat as a substitute at the time.  Who knows!! 

Moving on, I need part number 2576 - Date Jumper next.  I think I know where it may go.  

I also then need to know the correct orientation and location (as previously mentioned) about part number 2566 - Date Corrector.    

Once 2566 and 2576 are installed, we are pretty much at the end.

Let me know your thoughts!

Regards,

Yasser.

Is there a picture, no matter how poor, at the top of the data sheet, which shows the dial side? I suspect that 2572 and 2566 are both placed incorrectly. 

2572 may act on 2566 but I’m not sure. That poor picture may help. 

I might do better if it was in front of me...

• Like 1

Yeah, not much help. 

Trial and error. 
you know the discs both move anti-clockwise, so correctors and springs need to accommodate that. It should click that way, and not turn at all clockwise.

I’d just try it every which way until I got it. SOMETIMES the parts illustrations show the parts as they would look in the movement. That can help with “which way up” questions. 

• Thanks 1