Watch bezel repainting.

Seth

Good Morning to you all I hope you are all keeping safe and well during this tough time,I would like to know what sort of paint is best to use on a watch bezel?? I seem to remember Mark using some sort of porcelain/ ceramic paint that he baked in an oven in one of his videos but I cannot recall either the video or what paint and where to buy this from?? If anyone can help me with this information I would be very grateful.Many thanks and keep safe Regards Seth.

What are you going to paint on the bezel? I recently painted the grooved markers on a bezel and took the following note:

"When repainting grooved markers on a bezel, flood the markers with paint using a fine paintbrush, then wipe off the excess paint on the bezel with a piece of soft paper that has been slightly moistened with thinner. This way the paint in the grooved markers will remain."

Possibly not ideal, but I used Humbrol enamel paint. It was my first attempt but I was very pleased with the result and it has been working well so far. Of course, before painting I removed all old paint and cleaned it spotless using isopropanol.

4 minutes ago, VWatchie said:

What are you going to paint on the bezel? I recently painted the grooved markers on a bezel and took the following note:

"When repainting grooved markers on a bezel, flood the markers with paint using a fine paintbrush, then wipe off the excess paint on the bezel with a piece of soft paper that has been slightly moistened with thinner. This way the paint in the grooved markers will remain."

Possibly not ideal, but I used Humbrol enamel paint. It was my first attempt but I was very pleased with the result and it has been working well so far. Of course, before painting I removed all old paint and cleaned it spotless using isopropanol.

Hi there Many thanks for your reply,I have done this before using enamel paint but I saw somewhere I think but can't be sure if it was Mark using some paint that is used on ceramics and porcelain.I seem to remember that the numbers and indices were painted and left to air dry overnight then baked in an oven for a while.But I can't find the video or what paint or where I can get it from that's what I am trying to find out.Regards,Seth.

28 minutes ago, Seth said:

I can't find the video or what paint or where I can get it from that's what I am trying to find out

Well, let us hope some fellow watch repair talker will be able to guide us. I'll keep my fingers crossed!

A while back I was messing about with a cheap chinese watch which had a black case which was in poor condition.  I tried several different paints but the only one that had any decent durability and chip resistance was an epoxy paint.  This was only available in aerosol form (mainly black shades) for small quantities. Not sure how convenient this would be for a bezel but spraying some paint on a plate and using a brush would be feasible.   Once painted, I did a couple of coats, I left to dry in the boiler cupboard for 24 hrs to fully harden.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, rodabod said:

It all depends on the bezel type - does it have a clear filler? I repaired a 1st generation Seamaster 300 recently so have to do a clear infill which was a tricky task. 

Hi there,The bezel that I am looking to repaint is from a Russian Amphibia Kommandirskie watch that I am playing around with the chrome bezel has lost all its numeral markings and I thought I would have a go with this paint that needs baking but I cannot find the video or what type of paint it  was.It was a type of paint that is used on ceramics and porcelain and then it's left to air dry overnight then baked for a short time which results in a hard enamel finish.

8 minutes ago, watchweasol said:

Hi Check this out its on EBay  plenty of colours  and bakeable   cheers

paint.jpg

Hi there Many thanks for your reply and help I have just got my laptop out to look at this and order black,red and white to try it out on this Russkie Kommandirskie watch.Thanks for all your help Regards,Seth.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Seth said:

Hi there Many thanks for your reply and help I have just got my laptop out to look at this and order black,red and white to try it out on this Russkie Kommandirskie watch.Thanks for all your help Regards,Seth.

I'm very much into Vostoks and Russian watches in general (most affordable on the planet!) so I'd be interested to know the result. So, once you've tried it, please let us know. Good luck!

9 minutes ago, VWatchie said:

I'm very much into Vostoks and Russian watches in general (most affordable on the planet!) so I'd be interested to know the result. So, once you've tried it, please let us know. Good luck!

Hi there,I hope you are keeping safe and well,I have ordered a couple of this ceramic paint in black and red so I will try it out on this Kommandirskie watch bezel to see how it turns out.I will keep you posted on the outcome.Regards,Seth.

• Thanks 1

On 11/14/2020 at 7:32 PM, VWatchie said:

That's going to be interesting. Thanks! ?

Hi there I hope you are keeping safe and well,I have just received 2 pots of Porcelaine Paint one Red and one Black but as all the info on the pots are in French I have contacted the company to ask what I use to wash brushes out with and does it need stirring before use.I have managed to find out that it needs to be left to air dry for 24 hrs then baked in an oven at 130 degrees for 30 mins MAX!!!! Then you end up with a very hard enamel finish that is dishwasher and microwave oven safe.So I think that it should be goo enough for a watch bezel.Will kee you posted.Regards,Seth.

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, VWatchie said:

@Seth That sounds a lot like what you were looking for, and provided this works well (let us know) I would say that "a hard enamel finish" would be ideal.

Perhaps you could use https://translate.google.com/ to get to grips with the instructions?!

Hi there,Well I have applied the paint to this Kommandirskie watch bezel and now I have to wait 24 hrs before it goes into the oven to bake.Will keep you posted on the outcome.Regards and keep safe.Photos enclosed.Seth.

IMG_20201115_095725289_MP.jpg

IMG_20201118_095325930_MP.jpg

• Like 1

On 11/18/2020 at 10:00 AM, Seth said:

Hi there,Well I have applied the paint to this Kommandirskie watch bezel and now I have to wait 24 hrs before it goes into the oven to bake.Will keep you posted on the outcome.Regards and keep safe.Photos enclosed.Seth.

IMG_20201115_095725289_MP.jpg

IMG_20201118_095325930_MP.jpg

Hi there,Well here's the finished result of the bezel after baking.I found the video of this painting and baking of bezels it's on YouTube in a channel called Red Dead Restoration and the video is Abandoned Breitling watch.The person uses Porcelaine Paint Pencils which I have just received and they have a very thin needle/tube where the paint comes out much better than the liquid paint and less messy.Photo of the finished bezel enclosed.IMG_20201120_173122016.thumb.jpg.18156a18df4e244a20eff7a926d45c84.jpg

• Like 1