Have I broken my escape wheel?

boss0boss

Could someone advise me if this is broken? I can't see to get the wheel to fit (in the bottom jewel or in the bridge, my movement has a bridge purely for the escape wheel)  and when I do get some sort of fit, it's loose and never really bites the second wheel unless at an angle. When I was stripping the movement, I made a huge rookie mistake and the wheels feel out, so I didn't get a good look at how they were all connected (now I am in a world of pain lol).

If I have broken this wheel then it would explain a lot. ST36 movement.

Thanks guys

hopefully I will be able to contribute and not just ask question further down the line. ?  

Screenshot 2020-11-12 at 13.36.37.png

Edited by boss0boss
dupe picture

6 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

Sorry to say yes you have, both pivots are missing. 

Thank you for confirming. 

I am OK with this though becauseI have learnt some good things here! I identified that this could have been my issue (it was), need to work on being even more gentle and now I know what not to do (although I can't promise I won't do it again). 

I guess seeing as this was my only movement, I need to get a new one? or are parts for these Chinese movements readily available? 

If that fell out, and wasn't forced out, it seems the pivots were already broken before you disassembled it.

If you "ripped" the wheel from the stones, it is possible to break them. Check the stones to see if the remains of the pivots are still in there, and remove if they are. Unusual to see BOTH pivots broken off...

3 hours ago, Tudor said:

If that fell out, and wasn't forced out, it seems the pivots were already broken before you disassembled it.

If you "ripped" the wheel from the stones, it is possible to break them. Check the stones to see if the remains of the pivots are still in there, and remove if they are. Unusual to see BOTH pivots broken off...

This is definitely broken on both ends due to me most probably being to heavy handed and not giving the respect need. Definitely can take a lot from what happened here, as I mentioned above. 

I appreciate you all confirming tho. 

4 hours ago, anilv said:

ST96 are not chinese movements unless this is a copy? I have seen some ST96 where the finishing is very poor but they were still swiss.

Anilv

Isn't ST96 made in India now? 

OP's is ST36.  How does it compare to the Swiss made? haven't seen one upclose.

You sure have ?.

If that is any consolation so have the rest of us.?

What helps break more, is dried oil that tends to keep the pivot stay put, you then wrestle with and break it. 

Perhaps a pre- wash of mainplate+ gears+gear bridge prior to disassembly helps  pivots get unstuck.

19 hours ago, boss0boss said:

or are parts for these Chinese movements readily available?

It looks to me like you need something truly affordable to practice the basic skills. I'd definitely recommend you pick up a lot of used Vostok calibre 2409 or calibre 2414 movements. These movements are likely some of the most affordable on the planet and will, in my opinion and experience, give you 80 % or more of what a Swiss movement will for a fraction of the cost, and you'll always have spare parts for next to nothing. Here is my service walk-through and ode to the Vostok 2409 calibre if you'd find this to be an option.

4 hours ago, Nucejoe said:

If that is any consolation so have the rest of us.?

Yes! Yes it is... ?

1 hour ago, VWatchie said:

I'd definitely recommend you pick up a lot of used Vostok calibre 2409 or calibre 2414 movements.

Here is my service walk-through and ode to the Vostok 2409 calibre if you'd find this to be an option.

Thanks for the advice and link to your service walkthrough. Very useful indeed and now my afternoon is going to be looking into Vostok calibre's.

• Like 1