Bad timegrapher results after adding cannon pinion

Lc130

Hi

I'm a beginner and this is a 11DP also citizen 241.  I "serviced" it and it looked good on the timegrapher to my untrained eye. The traces are far apart.  Is that an issue if all else is well? 

I then added the cannon pinion and the TG results looked awful.  They were still bad after removing the cannon pinion.  I disassembled and reassembled with the same results.

The pallet fork is new and the balance swings freely and for a long time with a puff of air.

Any ideas?  Charlie

Before adding cannon pinion.

IMG_5764.thumb.JPG.1dcdee4069e747dc3c88858215f051cc.JPG

After adding cannon pinion and removing it again

IMG_5770.thumb.JPG.da8929fb38d1c5721311429597c4cdc9.JPG

IMG_5771.thumb.JPG.ee7de80989f8ec539b22df51cfe731c8.JPG

IMG_5772.thumb.JPG.4d7effddba7a1db397db909e07c80e95.JPG

9 minutes ago, Lc130 said:

Hi

I'm a beginner and this is a 11DP also citizen 241.  I "serviced" it and it looked good on the timegrapher to my untrained eye. The traces are far apart.  Is that an issue if all else is well? 

I then added the cannon pinion and the TG results looked awful.  They were still bad after removing the cannon pinion.  I disassembled and reassembled with the same results.

The pallet fork is new and the balance swings freely and for a long time with a puff of air.

Any ideas?  Charlie

Before adding cannon pinion.

IMG_5764.thumb.JPG.1dcdee4069e747dc3c88858215f051cc.JPG

After adding cannon pinion and removing it again

IMG_5770.thumb.JPG.da8929fb38d1c5721311429597c4cdc9.JPG

IMG_5771.thumb.JPG.ee7de80989f8ec539b22df51cfe731c8.JPG

IMG_5772.thumb.JPG.4d7effddba7a1db397db909e07c80e95.JPG

Are the hands installed and dragging. If not, did you press too hard on the cannon pinion during installation and perhaps bent a plate?

38 minutes ago, Lc130 said:

The traces are far apart.  Is that an issue if all else is well? 

always helpful to have pictures. A interesting watch to track down because initially I didn't find it at the link below but then I did. Looks like the beat has to be adjusted by rotating the collet. Hard to tell in a picture like this how level the balance bridge is with the rest of the bridges? So it would be nice if you do get us a picture aimed at a slight angle at your balance wheel assembly so we can see if we see a problem.

Then same question as above how hard did you press to get the canon pinion on? It's possible depending upon how your holding a movement that you might a bump the regulator really hard?

then the original picture the watch is a little out of beat the lines really should be closer together. Not a life or death thing but still it be nice it was closer in beat. Then they looked cute just a little on the rough side. Other thing it's always nice when you time not just to do one position like dial down always nice to do one of the crown positions as it helps to see if you're having other problems. Because the watches at its best when it's either dial up or dial down so were less likely to see problems then.

then when you have random dots on the graphical display consider the numbers equally as random because the Chinese machine will attempt to give you numbers when they don't actually exist. So basically displays showing you you're having a problem.

http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-db.cgi?10&ranfft&&2uswk&Citizen_0241

Well this is bizarre, I just put it on the TG again and it looked perfect : 0s/d, 246, be of 2.  Remove it and put it on again and I get random dots.

I don't believe I pushed the pinion too hard.  Though, I have a donor 11DP without a balance.  Should I try swapping the center wheel and bridge?

It may not be correlated to the pinion.  It may be that the watch was in the same state in all the good readings regardless of the pinion.  Maybe something is loose??

IMG_5773.thumb.JPG.063151315ba8a992069020a2773d5e5a.JPG

IMG_5776.thumb.JPG.bc3db7c9c335150bdb704f05611fa578.JPGIMG_5780.thumb.JPG.c8ac587c2e8a66fa6c1eb96db882c803.JPG

Is the crown and stem fitted? In one watch I have worked on when the stem wasn't fitted the watch was effectively left in hand setting mode. After a few minutes the watch would come to a stop as the tight cannon pinion would wind against the hand setting cogs and through to the clutch eventually jamming the clutch (as the stem wasn't in it could move around and jam) and stopping the watch. In between working and stopping the watch rate would go up.

• Like 1