Ratchet Wheel Click Release

Lurch

Hi, my Wife inherited a ladies 'Grovana' mechanical watch which appears to be wound very tightly and does not work.   Any attempt to rotate the crown only moves the ratchet wheel by a couple of teeth.  As a guess, the watch is over 40 years old.

I would like to wind down the main spring of the watch as a first step to see if I can get it working.  The watch appears to have a unique ratchet wheel click which I cannot disengage. 

The ratchet wheel click is unlike any other I have found on the internet or in any of the other mechanical watches we own; i.e. they have a small disc with one or two 'fingers' which can rotate and engage with the teeth of the ratchet wheel. 

The 'Grovana' ratchet wheel click appears to be just a very small plate with pin which engages with the ratchet wheel from underneath with no visible means of disengaging it. 

I understand that when releasing the ratchet wheel click the crown must be held and allowed to rotate slowly in order to wind down the main spring but I just cannot fathom out how to release the 'Grovana' ratchet wheel click. 

Any assistance would be much appreciated as this watch was my Wife's Mums and I would like to get it working for my wife - it is sentimental as opposed to valuable. 

Grovana type ratchet wheel click1.JPG

Grovana type ratchet wheel click1a.JPG

Grovana type ratchet wheel click3.JPG

Looks like a large relief cut for the click- I would guess it swings into that cleared area. If you try to wind it, it should release the tension on the click, which can then be moved out of the tooth.

Probably a pin in a hole under the wheel, so you can't remove the click all together either...

I guess whatever you do, go slowly and carefully!

• Like 1

Where the red arrow is pointing, you need to go to wind the button and at the same time release that click piece, make sure you have a tight grip on the button and let it slip gently in your fingers and it will unwind. You will find the click is a one piece unit under the ratchet wheel. 

337847059_Grovanatyperatchetwheelclick1a.JPG.fe06b47d56ffb8c6105cc03adb86c9ca.jpg

• Like 1

Just like to say a big thank you to all 3 respondents - very much appreciated from Lurch.  Followed the advice to the letter and 'hey presto'.  Also, decided to remove the Ratchet Wheel for good measure just to make sure the Click is not broken.  Took the photos below in case they assist anyone else with a similar problem.

SAM_0533.JPG

SAM_0535.JPG

• Thanks 1