Hello from US!

LarryH

Hello all,

Amateur watch enthusiast here, been tinkering with watches for ten years or so, but have started taking it much more seriously the past year or so (including Mark's GREAT course).  Always looking forward to learning more, and willing to share any info I can!

Also, as an aside, been buying watchmaker estates for a decade or so, and have decided to begin making my inventory available to others (No way I'll ever use 1% of it myself).  Although a very slow process, I do have several thousand parts inventoried including quite a selection Bestfit balance staffs, Timex Stems and crowns, and many other items available.  I have a huge collection of parts and tools to add to the site (years of work), so if I see someone needing a part, I'll chime in if I happen to have it.

Not sure if I can list the site here, so will not post the URL, but feel free to PM me if interested).

• Like 2

Welcome!

I believe the link is acceptable; however we don't currently have any for sale section here.

Do you have excess tools as well? I need a stake (and a steak) but regarding the stake, from a Marshall set, stake # 7L (or L7) is broken from my set, and I'd like to replace it if possible. Follow up via PM if you might be able to help, to adhere to forum rules.

On 11/9/2020 at 9:32 AM, Tudor said:

I believe the link is acceptable; however we don't currently have any for sale section here

I snipped out something from the guideline for using the message board and I'm guessing you should really talk to Mark it's his message board he probably wouldn't mind if you asked him but I would ask first.

Then I'm giving you a link to a cryptic discussion. as far as having a section for selling stuff it did exist briefly some of us actually witnessed and saw it but it's gone now. It's cryptically explained that the discussion below.

https://www.watchrepairtalk.com/topic/16265-advanced-members-club-did-i-dream-it/

posting links that are bad.JPG

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, LarryH said:

Thank you for pointing that out, my apologies.

always good to read the rules and the moderators do know about it and they don't seem to be getting excited about it. I only pointed out because there have been incidents in the past and people get excited and wonder why they're being picked on.

I had a quick look at the Timex related Stem\Crowns and can add some feedback as long time Timex collector and repairer.

The parts numbers are those from Timex and used by parts distributors.  So they would have no meaning to the typical Timex collector looking for parts.  What they mostly reply upon is the dial code which must be cross referenced to the warehouse part numbering.  These cross refences were provided in books sent to the distributors.  Biggest issue with these is that the books are cumulative and only cover a given range of years and not inception to date.  So it comes down to being familiar with the parts.  15 years at it and I'm still learning what parts are interchange.

• Like 1

On 11/12/2020 at 2:46 PM, JerseyMo said:

The parts numbers are those from Timex and used by parts distributors.  So they would have no meaning to the typical Timex collector looking for parts.  

Thanks for the info JerseyMo!  I had a feeling that was the case with those numbers.  I knew the dial code was the key (from reading many of your posts!), and I have not yet been able to find any documentation on the references from dial to parts.  I think I saw a photo on one of your posts of a printout that looked to list the parts for a given code.

If you are aware of any such references, I'd love to get my hands on one.   I have a lot of books, catalogs and manuals from my purchases, but haven't come across that yet.  

I've still got a good deal more Timex stuff to add and being able to help folks determine their need would be awesome!

IMG_5530.jpg

15 hours ago, LarryH said:

@JerseyMo Well, what do you know!  Just happened to search and actually found 1 on ebay just now!  It's an 83 version, but will be a good start on the older models.

actually it may not be good for the older models. that is because Timex would not keep the documentation as inception to date.  It will however cover a good portion of the 70's and into the 80's.  Another problem that comes up is that Timex sold models based on country. So you may find a 1970's Marlin from the UK with a given dial code and it won't match up to the book.

• Like 1