Elgin 328 movement wristwatch, 1970's? parts list or isometric prints

hi all hope this finds everybody good. I'm working on an Elgin 328 movement wristwatch what I believe to be from the 70's. that's about all I can find so far. did a search here-not much luck. maybe I'm using the wrong key words... anyone with info or parts list would be appreciated.  Watchweasol where are ya I need your help bud! Looks like I'll be on the hunt for parts..

I might even submit this one to the 404 club. if I can get it running. it's kind of a cool little watch. the dial has got some great texture. It's called a 'Linen' dial. Water invaded thru the crown tube a long time ago and worked its "magic" on the keyless works and date set, which, looks like it made the former owner back then wind the thing until he almost ground the two piece stem to dust. welp... the rest of the movement is remarkably clean and pristine, aside from the usual build up of old sludge and goo.  Past the years of 20's-30's Elgin was pretty vague about naming their models and even less what time frames. Hence the broad "70's" reference. maybe even mid to late 60's.  see my dilemma? oh and the other thing is that this movement appears to be Swiss. hmmm >scratching my head< pics submitted for your review or amusement. thanks!!

Edited by MechanicMike
Screwed up pics

1 hour ago, Graziano said:

Hi there MechanicMike, they say that the Elgin 328 is an st96-4 movement. I have checked on ebay and there's plenty of parts available, including what you need. Hope that helps http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-db.cgi?12&ranfft&0&2uswk&FHF_96_4

While the parts are readily available for the FHF96-4 in the UK, with my similarly driven 'not running'  (balance spring FUBAR'd) Camy , I found it far cheaper to buy one of the 'rebuilt' Mumbai Specials on ebay, with the same, apparently new, FHF movement and I swapped the whole balance assembly out of it. I think it cost me about £13 inc carriage. The Camy now runs great and I have an almost complete movement left as spares....

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Graziano said:

Hi there MechanicMike, they say that the Elgin 328 is an st96-4 movement. I have checked on ebay and there's plenty of parts available, including what you need. Hope that helps http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-db.cgi?12&ranfft&0&2uswk&FHF_96_4

That is correct elgin 328 bridge layout too is exact same as st96.

Bought 5 new movements for 30bucks a piece, Not bad ha.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Graziano said:

an aHA! moment. there's the missing piece of the puzzle! on one reference I had seen, I saw the 96-4 number but the chart didn't say what it was. also, the ONE place I didn't look-ranfft. figures. this is the very reason why this forum is the best IMHO. grazie, Graziano. I appreciate it. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, JohnD said:

While the parts are readily available for the FHF96-4 in the UK, with my similarly driven 'not running'  (balance spring FUBAR'd) Camy , I found it far cheaper to buy one of the 'rebuilt' Mumbai Specials on ebay, with the same, apparently new, FHF movement and I swapped the whole balance assembly out of it. I think it cost me about £13 inc carriage. The Camy now runs great and I have an almost complete movement left as spares....

Hi John-I may just do that, and, since I came to you guy guys I've located a couple 328's(96-4) out there. Are ST96-4 and FHF-96-4 one in the same caliber regarding the prefix letters? 

Edited by MechanicMike
forgot a couple words

5 hours ago, watchweasol said:

Hi Mike  managed to find a parts listing for calibers  321 to 360 for you as yet the only other tech is on Ranfft which the guys have already posted.    cheers

Grade 321 to 360.pdf 1.57 MB · 0 downloads

thanks WW. I don't know how you do it but when I dead-ended on this one, you were the first person in the gang I thought of! As always, thank you much for the intel. -Mike

5 hours ago, Nucejoe said:

That is correct elgin 328 bridge layout too is exact same as st96.

Bought 5 new movements for 30bucks a piece, Not bad ha.

thanks joe. hopefully soon I can post pics of the finished product. Along with the movement, I'm polishing up the case and the crystal too. where'd you purchase the five from? appreciate your time-Mike

ST96, FHF96 and ST FHF96 are the same calibers. ST96-4 variant has date complication, regardless of complications the base comes with various type of shock systems and different shape of keyless parts and that is what you should pay attention to. 

1-Keyless parts

2-Shock system and shock springs. 

Hairsprings metal differ between old and new models too( I think), newer types are improved and less damagable.

joe

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, MechanicMike said:

thanks WW. I don't know how you do it but when I dead-ended on this one, you were the first person in the gang I thought of! As always, thank you much for the intel. -Mike

thanks joe. hopefully soon I can post pics of the finished product. Along with the movement, I'm polishing up the case and the crystal too. where'd you purchase the five from? appreciate your time-Mike

The ones I bought are NOS imported fourty years ago,  nowadays you get brand new ones made in India for about the same price or less, actually with improved hairspring.

What parts do you need?

joe

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Nucejoe said:

The ones I bought are NOS imported fourty years ago,  nowadays you get brand new ones made in India for about the same price or less, actually with improved hairspring.

What parts do you need?

joe

well for starters, the stem, winding pinion clutch wheel detent and clutch lever and clutch lever spring. I believe the mainspring was 'set,' but I replace them automatically if I open a watch. probably more as I get further.

19 minutes ago, Nucejoe said:

Yours has lyre shock spring, will you show the dial underside with focus on keyless and date train.

some of the lighter corrosion is just that-I can work it off with pegwood and some dental floss but I'm not betting the farm on the rest. 

3 minutes ago, Nucejoe said:

We just have to wait until you unvail the keyless and date mech, to make sure you get exact same parts, as many parts as it needs you best bet would be a scrap, no big deal.

I think I agree with you. I'm just about to seal the deal on one from Ebay. 19 bucks. movement, dial and hands, running. what do you think?

6 minutes ago, MechanicMike said:

I think I agree with you. I'm just about to seal the deal on one from Ebay. 19 bucks. movement, dial and hands, running. what do you think?

Does it have good functioning date complication?  The rest can be scavanged out of your movement including bridges which bears the brand.

Just now, Nucejoe said:

Does it have good functioning date complication?  The rest can be scavanged out of your movement including bridges which bears the brand.

it does. I asked about that and he sent me a clip of him adjusting time set and date set.

3 minutes ago, Nucejoe said:

Some of the deeper crud and after cleanup. Now that I look at this pic I think I still have some cleanup to do.

20201101_194345.jpg

20201101_191125.jpg

Rest assured, you will have a good movement out of the two.

Excellent chrome plating on these ebauches, will clean spotless.

If you take out balance jewels and give the rest a 48hr soak, brush(tooth brush) under tap, use laundry powder detergent as cleanser, you love the shine you get. 

5 minutes ago, Nucejoe said:

If you take out balance jewels and give the rest a 48hr soak, brush(tooth brush) under tap, use laundry powder detergent as cleanser, you love the shine you get. 

think that shadow will clean up with the powder and toothbrush? will that powder be too coarse? or am I splitting hairs...

7 minutes ago, Nucejoe said:

winding gear and clutch are bad. rust is deep into the tiny teeth and my sharpened pegwood won't touch it. I hesitate with anything other than wood or a plastic pik. maybe an electrolysis soak overnight? I'm going to put it under the scope-some of the teeth might be corroded down. i think these gotta go.

Just now, MechanicMike said:

think that shadow will clean up with the powder and toothbrush? will that powder be too coarse? or am I splitting hairs...

Sorry I didn't mean scrubbing with dry powder, use a drop of tap water on the powder, just enough to keep it wet at first, gradually add more water brush to a foam, then you can brush as much as you like. You should get a perfect shine on this as it isn't really rust.

• Like 1