Issue with Seiko Premier Perpetual Calendar

east3rn

Hello dear watchmakers.

I have a Seiko watch in "Premier" line, SNP003.

This watch is powered by Cal. 7D48-0AA0 Kinetic movement with perpetual calendar.

One day, I noticed that on midnight between October 30th and October 31st, the date changed to 1 instead of 31.

The month indicator went from October to November.

I thought reinstalling the month indicator hand to one month backwards might fix the problem but I am not quite sure.

What should I do in this case??

Thank you ?

0027_1985291_1.jpg.9b9398616a655b8585a6a606837efdf9.jpg

Hello east3rn this watch has a perpetual calendar , there are instructions on youtube for programing or resetting your watch , not advisable to tinker with hands as this will throw settings out .Here is the manual that will show how to set.https://storage.seikowatches.com/production/files/2018/03/20/143340135354/pdf/SEIKO_7D56c.pdf May need battery change .hope this helps

Edited by Graziano
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Graziano said:

not advisable to tinker with hands as this will throw settings out

on the surface it seems like moving the hand would solve the problem except this is a perpetual watch. If you look at calendars over the years there's variations. Otherwise we'd only need one calendar forever. The perpetual watch providing it's properly  set knows what each calendar is for each year. Your  perpetual watch has lost its setting or somebody did a battery change and didn't follow the proper setting procedure and just set the watch to time and didn't set the  year would be quite common.

• Thanks 1

On 11/6/2020 at 1:57 AM, JohnR725 said:

on the surface it seems like moving the hand would solve the problem except this is a perpetual watch. If you look at calendars over the years there's variations. Otherwise we'd only need one calendar forever. The perpetual watch providing it's properly  set knows what each calendar is for each year. Your  perpetual watch has lost its setting or somebody did a battery change and didn't follow the proper setting procedure and just set the watch to time and didn't set the  year would be quite common.

On 11/5/2020 at 9:27 PM, Graziano said:

Hello east3rn this watch has a perpetual calendar , there are instructions on youtube for programing or resetting your watch , not advisable to tinker with hands as this will throw settings out .Here is the manual that will show how to set.https://storage.seikowatches.com/production/files/2018/03/20/143340135354/pdf/SEIKO_7D56c.pdf May need battery change .hope this helps

I tried setting the watch following the manual.

However, I noticed that the year indicator changes on February instead of January.

In this case, would it be necessary to reinstall the hand?

Thank you:)

18 minutes ago, east3rn said:

I tried setting the watch following the manual.

However, I noticed that the year indicator changes on February instead of January.

In this case, would it be necessary to reinstall the hand?

Thank you:)

Hi, I am certain that this these settings can be individually adjusted unless someone has already played with the hands. Maybe the watch was repaired at some stage. Anyway you could remove hands and replace at the right adjustment. Take a photo of what you do in case your not happy with result. Also be very careful of the dial on these seikos do not apply pressure between 9 and 3 hope this helps. 

Edited by Graziano
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Graziano said:

Maybe the watch was repaired at some stage

1 hour ago, Graziano said:

Hi, I am certain that this these settings can be individually adjusted unless someone has already played with the hands.

I think a lot of watch repair people fail to grasp just how complicated perpetual calendar watches can be. I've attached the service manual it's broken into a whole bunch of pieces. Even talks about replacing the hands it's a very complicated procedure. The hands are supposed in a very exacting position for all of this to work if they are not where there supposed to be it's going to be a problem.

7D46-7D48_Eng.pdf 7D46A,7D48A_4.pdf 7D46A,7D48A_3.pdf 7D46A,7D48A_2.pdf 7D46A,7D48A_1.pdf

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JohnR725 said:

I think a lot of watch repair people fail to grasp just how complicated perpetual calendar watches can be. I've attached the service manual it's broken into a whole bunch of pieces. Even talks about replacing the hands it's a very complicated procedure. The hands are supposed in a very exacting position for all of this to work if they are not where there supposed to be it's going to be a problem.

7D46-7D48_Eng.pdf 918.56 kB · 0 downloads 7D46A,7D48A_4.pdf 4.41 MB · 0 downloads 7D46A,7D48A_3.pdf 2.08 MB · 0 downloads 7D46A,7D48A_2.pdf 1.51 MB · 0 downloads 7D46A,7D48A_1.pdf 2.4 MB · 0 downloads

2 hours ago, JohnR725 said:

Hi there Mr JohnR725 yes and are very hard to get back on correct to time,and synced. If the watch has not been serviced or repaired then there should be no reason to take the hands off. It should be able to be done via settings. And if it's solar powered, the dials are brittle as I have no doubt you would already know. I see this one is kenetic 

Edited by Graziano

3 hours ago, Graziano said:

Hi there Mr JohnR725 yes and are very hard to get back on correct to time,and synced. If the watch has not been serviced or repaired then there should be no reason to take the hands off. It should be able to be done via settings. And if it's solar powered, the dials are brittle as I have no doubt you would already know. I see this one is kenetic 

5 hours ago, JohnR725 said:

7D46-7D48_Eng.pdf 918.56 kB · 0 downloads 7D46A,7D48A_4.pdf 4.41 MB · 0 downloads 7D46A,7D48A_3.pdf 2.08 MB · 0 downloads 7D46A,7D48A_2.pdf 1.51 MB · 0 downloads 7D46A,7D48A_1.pdf 2.4 MB · 0 downloads

I really appreciate all of your advice.

I will look over the manual and try reinstalling the hands if it is necessary.

Hopefully I will come back with good news ?