Hello! TIMEX MARLIN 2017 2464 - Did I break it? Can I fix it with no watch repair experience?

MikeS1

Hello All

I have always admired vintage watches but never  owned many (now own 2!).  I have recently purchased (my second) Timex as they look phenomenal to me and are financially doable for me.

My question.  Purchased a Marlin 2017 2464 off of ebay.  Wound just fine.  Worked great....for just a few hours.  Went to go wind on day 2 and now it wont wind at all (seems like its locked).  I can pull the crown out and change the hours - just no longer am able to get the seconds going.  I can lightly tap on the watch and the second hand will tick for anywhere from 2 - 15 seconds only to stop again.  Im afraid I have done something wrong (wound it up too much?)  Ive tried to YouTube some videos with no success but stumbled onto this website with some pretty good insight.  Im not much of a watch repair person as I am a watch admirer.  Is there a repair that I could easily do or am I screwed? Appreciate any responses!

Welcome!

There are a few here well versed in Times but I think this may be beyond the novice based on your description. 

Some Times movements cane cleaned fully assembled and then precisely oiled for good results. I have no idea if your movement is one of them. 

I know a little about vintage Timex repair... here are four I worked on the last few days. 

The issue you encountered is commonly called 'over wound'. Meaning the mainspring is stuck and no power is being transferred to the train.  The likely reason this occurred is not your fault at all. The real reason is the watch was probably sitting unused for years and is in need of a basic service. (Cleaning, Oiling, Adjustment \ Regulating).  Given the dial code 2017 2464 your watch is a 64 Marlin with a model 24 movement inside. 

Search this site and you should come across one of my posting on how to service a vintage Timex.  

123542030_2877492562573915_1249134317715100843_n (1).jpg

123775260_744536732807514_1687915490310127648_n (1).jpg

1 minute ago, Tudor said:

Welcome!

There are a few here well versed in Times but I think this may be beyond the novice based on your description. 

Some Times movements cane cleaned fully assembled and then precisely oiled for good results. I have no idea if your movement is one of them. 

yep, model 24 is a work horse movement. "piece of cake" repair! That is easy for me to say now after near 15 years of working on them ?

1 hour ago, JerseyMo said:

I know a little about vintage Timex repair... here are four I worked on the last few days. 

The issue you encountered is commonly called 'over wound'. Meaning the mainspring is stuck and no power is being transferred to the train.  The likely reason this occurred is not your fault at all. The real reason is the watch was probably sitting unused for years and is in need of a basic service. (Cleaning, Oiling, Adjustment \ Regulating).  Given the dial code 2017 2464 your watch is a 64 Marlin with a model 24 movement inside. 

Search this site and you should come across one of my posting on how to service a vintage Timex.  

123542030_2877492562573915_1249134317715100843_n (1).jpg

123775260_744536732807514_1687915490310127648_n (1).jpg

Thank you for responding - awesome that you work on these great watches!  I watched the video below and that work seems pretty intense! Especially for someone with zero experience like myself.  

A few follow up questions - you mention above cleaning and oiling - is this something someone like myself with minimal experience should try first?  If I fail at this - would it be worth trying to find someone stateside to work on the watch? Or should I just be better off trying to find a different watch :). New to the watch world and again appreciate all of the responses!

1 hour ago, Graziano said:

Hi watch this video it will help m24 inside complete strip down and assembly and replace mainspring.I am not saying if you have no experience to try it but it is entertaining, a good place to start as well . ?

Thank you for the response! Looks fun but also looks intimidating ? 

1 minute ago, MikeS1 said:

Thank you for the response! Looks fun but also looks intimidating ? 

Repairing watches is sooooo relaxing you can sit at the bench for hours on end and totally immerse yourself. Don't let it intimidate you if you are interested.The General of this forum Mark has a great course you can do online .He also has videos on youtube .Step by step one foot in front of the other ,and you will learn .There is some great information on here to be had for all . Any questions just ask and you will be answered. But seriously there is enough info around to have a crack.Hope that helps you 

Hi  at the moment you have a watch that is not working, If you feel capable to remove the movement from the case and have a look be aware that is has the date function and be careful. Checck the pivot holes for dirt (blackdirt) and general dryness of the movement. As JerseyMo explained probably been in a drawer for a long while and needs a service which is usually the cause of the problem you have .  I have attached the service sheet for the 24 so you may appraise the situation should you wish to have a go.  good luck

timex 24.pdf

11 hours ago, MikeS1 said:

Thank you for responding - awesome that you work on these great watches!  I watched the video below and that work seems pretty intense! Especially for someone with zero experience like myself.  

A few follow up questions - you mention above cleaning and oiling - is this something someone like myself with minimal experience should try first?  If I fail at this - would it be worth trying to find someone stateside to work on the watch? Or should I just be better off trying to find a different watch :). New to the watch world and again appreciate all of the responses!

The video is fine but I would not recommend to go with a full tear down right off. There is a wiki page on budget watches that give a very good overview of how to service a US Time \ Timex movement. that is what got me started.

After working on 5 mechanical Timex movements in the last 11 months, I have to agree with JerseyMo. A Timex is not built like a conventional watch. Complete disassembly is definitely not for a beginner. 

I would only remove the hands and dial and part of the keyless works then soak it in petrol (gasoline) for 30 mins. Use a fine brush to clean around the pivots then wind it up and dunk it back in the petrol. It should be able to run by now. If it doesn't, then it's one of those that need a full tear down.

You're in good hands, MikeS1.  Jersey Mo is the man, when it comes to Timex. And the others who've worked on them here know their stuff.  All I could add would be: don't be in a rush.  Break it all down into steps. Then just do a single step at a time.  That said, like the others stated, you may not need to do a full strip-down.  I would also say to take the hands and dial off and gently submerge the movement in solvent. My go-to cleaner is naphtha (Zippo lighter fluid or Ronsinol).  Now, if you use that, don't breathe the fumes; it's harsh on humans. That cleaner is known for not harming the shellac that many watches use for gluing in jewels.  After 3 or 4 hours pull it out and see how it behaves.  Look close at pivot holes, the hairspring, the teeth, anywhere gunk could have collected.  Judge whether it needs more cleaning. Then you can think about whether it needs more comprehensive repair, and go from there.

Edited by KarlvonKoln
Edited for clarity

On 11/4/2020 at 10:21 PM, Graziano said:

Hi watch this video it will help m24 inside complete strip down and assembly and replace mainspring.I am not saying if you have no experience to try it but it is entertaining, a good place to start as well . ?

6 hours ago, KarlvonKoln said:

You're in good hands, MikeS1.  Jersey Mo is the man, when it comes to Timex. And the others who've worked on them here know their stuff.  All I could add would be: don't be in a rush.  Break it all down into steps. Then just do a single step at a time.  That said, like the others stated, you may not need to do a full strip-down.  I would also say to take the hands and dial off and gently submerge the movement in solvent. My go-to cleaner is naphtha (Zippo lighter fluid or Ronsinol).  Now, if you use that, don't breathe the fumes; it's harsh on humans. That cleaner is known for not harming the shellac that many watches use for gluing in jewels.  After 3 or 4 hours pull it out and see how it behaves.  Look close at pivot holes, the hairspring, the teeth, anywhere gunk could have collected.  Judge whether it needs more cleaning. Then you can think about whether it needs more comprehensive repair, and go from there.

Everyone here has been extremely insightful and welcoming.  All of the feedback is awesome! I cannot thank everyone enough! Ill give some things a go!  Wish me luck - will feedback results!

• Like 1