Hello

Jigger

Hello everybody. Mike here. I'm new here. When my dad passed away, I found out that he never threw any of his old watches away. He mostly had Timex watches and some run and some don't. Only 2 are quartz. They were from the 60's, 70's, and 80's. Then my grandfather passed away and we found a bunch of old watches that he never threw away. Only one watch and one pocket watch ran. They are from the 30's, 40's and 50's and 60's. They have all been just sitting around and I keep thinking should I or shouldn't I try to fix them myself? What do you think? Is a 1967 Timex Marlin (from my dad) with a missing stem and crown an easy fix and a good place to start?

Hello and welcome to the forum Mike   that's a no brainer family watches are a treasure thats why Your Dad and Grandad held on to them.  Coming from an era waste not want not they kept them and for no other reason they want looking at and resurecting if possible in their memory. I have old family clocks and will not part with them.

A 67 marlin is a great watch to start you off with.  I began with a 1964 marlin myself and have since repaired thousands Timex watches.  Here are some I just picked up at local flea market.   The first thing to do is a quick check for damage such as pulled hair spring, broken mainspring, missing parts.  Than you go from there to learning how to take the watch apart and what not to take apart and so on.  You can search this site for many of my postings of repairs I've made.

I would recommend to first try with the least desired watch just to help ease your way into things.

123409898_1757250947767678_1915384553898721945_n.jpg

Here is today's repair - 1970 Timex '21 Jewels' with hand wind with Date.  Came from the estate of watch maker in Manhattan.  This watch may have been sitting for 30 years or more. With some very basic cleaning techniques, oil and grease, it is back in working order.

123344949_663224917693626_848294173420400027_n.jpg

12 hours ago, JerseyMo said:

Here is today's repair - 1970 Timex '21 Jewels' with hand wind with Date.  Came from the estate of watch maker in Manhattan.  This watch may have been sitting for 30 years or more. With some very basic cleaning techniques, oil and grease, it is back in working order.

123344949_663224917693626_848294173420400027_n.jpg

Hi Mo. Did you remove every tiny endstone to clean and oil on this one?