Incabloc spring

Tudor

Hi guys. Working on my Omega 565 last night the lower (plate side) Incabloc spring broke as I tried to remove it for final cleaning and oiling. I got the lose hinge piece out after much struggle but I am in need of the spring, if someone has a spare. Happy to PayPal, or trade. I have one that appears to be serviceable from a Clone 3135 but it may not work, and I'm not sure what else I have that might work... Last thing I want is for it to come lose in the watch after it's cased up.

Also, the main question: do I need to press the Incabloc setting out of the plate to install the new spring? I read on one (other) forum post that it is required (and possibly why I had trouble getting the broken piece out of the setting). I can press it out, and back in, but I want to hear is that the way to do it, before I risk further damage, or misalignment issues, moving something I don't truly need to move?

Thanks in advance!

I have done the same thing on a 565.  I chose to press out the Incabloc setting.  I then installed the new spring and jewel into the setting, and then pressed the assembly back in.  I didn't have any issues with it changing the end-shake.

Ok great. I’m not comfortable getting this “deep” into altering things. I had visions of too much or too little end shake and pulling what’s left of my hair out...

Im somewhat relieved that it’s straightforward. I’m still not sure the donor spring I have is sized properly, but I hope so. 

Edited by Tudor

Most of the time on an Omega 565 (or family) you can replace the spring without pushing out the incabloc. In a lot of other movements you may have to push the bloc out, in many cases just a bit, the hinge side of the inca spring can slide back in. 
Before pushing out the block do feel how much play you have lifting the balance up and down. This helps when putting the block back in so you will come back to the correct height play fpr the balance. Make also  picture of the blocks position before pushing out if you are no so experienced that you can judge the play by eye and hand.

Edited by Ronp

My plan is to mark the setting and plate with a fine point sharpie for clocking, and to use the jeweling micrometer for depthing. 

The “replacement” I have came out of its setting quite easily. The remnants of the hinge in the Omega fought tooth and nail. Perhaps because it’s pressed into the plate, and not on the cock. I’ve never had to replace one before, so it’s a steep learning curve. Meanwhile, I’m watching all I can on these silly things to prepare as best I can. 

Ofrei has practice incablocs (complete) five for five bucks, for practice handling etc. they don’t have the exact spring for the 565 however. So, worst case I replace the entire thing. Maybe. Really worst case I find a dead 565 but they are not cheap. 

These rabbit holes sure do run deep eh?