Need Help on Repairng & Service of my Seiko 7S26 Movement at Home.

sushant

Hello all, I am trying to restore my first Mechanical watch which has a  Seiko 7s26 and i need serious help because i have already ruined the balance spring and also lost a screw. I am trying to repair by my self because there is no seiko service center in my city, i am from India. Please help me guys i am dying to repair this watch i have no experience of watch repair and i have no proper tools but i made some screw driver own my own to dismantle the movement. I have attached some images so you guys can see the problem and answer me how to solve them. I will be so glad if you guys help me to find parts and oils for service. Greetings and thank you in Advance. 

**Problems** 

1. Broken Hair Spring. Please check the image   (Do not know where to buy new one).

2.Lost CENTER WHEEL BRIDGE  SCREW (0012354) (Do not know where to buy new one).

3. Do not have any type of Oils to Lubricate the Movement (Do not know where to buy new one).

4. How to clean the whole movement.  Do not have a Ultra Sonic Cleaner. Having Dish Soap.

***** I am using TECHNICAL GUIDE CAL 7S26 to Identify Parts name so i have all the parts name and the locations and amount of oiling needed******

Please help me to find a good website where i can buy genuine parts and Little bit oils i dont need bigger quantity of oils i need less quantity of oil .

7S26 Seiko .png

Hello and welcome to the forum.   You are indeed in a bit of a mess. If you are able to access Ebay then I would suggest that's where to start looking for a donor movement  so as to be able to salvage the bits that are broken or missing.  There are alternative sites to find parts, Second user parts, obsoletewatchandclockparts.com in the Uk for second user parts or, . Cousins.uk, A.G.Thomas, watch part  suppilers again in the UK.  The likes of Cousins also supply tools oils etc for the trade.

Cleaning can be done by hand, using Benzine, Naptha, or readily available Rononol lighter fuel or if you can get it Isopropyl Alcohol.

American based suppliers are Otto Frei,  Esslingers,  Jules Borel, Timesavers  A quick trawl of the net for watch material supply houses will bring results.

Good Luck         cheers

16 hours ago, sushant said:

Hello all, I am trying to restore my first Mechanical watch which has a  Seiko 7s26 and i need serious help because i have already ruined the balance spring and also lost a screw. 

Do not try further or you will break and get aggravation even more. Buy an NH36 movement on Aliexpress for about USD 25.

You can get a chinese made balance complete on alibaba for less than €3.5 .

Which from other reports can cause further troubles due to poor quality, plus requires tool and experience to be installed.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, sushant said:

. Broken Hair Spring. Please check the image   (Do not know where to buy new one).

7S26 Seiko .png

Alibaba is where you buy one.

5 hours ago, jdm said:

Which from other reports can cause further troubles do to itspoor quality, plu  requires tool and experience to be installed.

Just Answered the man's question.

I also want to find a  easy way to wash all the parts, I have Isopropyl alcohol but i have read that it can damage the Pallet Fork Glue which holds the Pallet Fork Jewels. I was planning to use Distilled water + Dish Soap or Car Shampoo to clean all the Parts Together. Waiting for suggestions. Also found this mesh basket in my kitchen to hold all the parts like you see a on those Rolex Service videos where they put all the parts in Ultrasonic Cleaner. Love those Videos. By the way my next watch is Tudor Pelagos.

clean .png

Edited by sushant

18 hours ago, jdm said:

Do not try further or you will break and get aggravation even more. Buy an NH36 movement on Aliexpress for about USD 25.

Which from other reports can cause further troubles due to poor quality, plus requires tool and experience to be installed.

Hello sir. Thanks for helping me. I highly appreciate how every one here is helping me. I thought of buying a New NH36 which is basically 4R36 but i really want to repair this movement because it is my first Mechanical watch its nearly 10 years old. Sir can you tell me how long does a 7s26 can last? Thanks sir. 

Bold! Dive right in! Hairsprings like that are where lessons are learned. CousinsUK sells seiko balance completes at reasonable prices. I got one there recently. Won't come with the cock though. For that you'll need to find an eBay seller breaking movements. Counsins is probably also your best bet for various other parts.

That said, I'm with the crowd on just getting a new movement. Your odds of success look to be quite low at the moment, and you'll go through a lot of balance completes before you have that guy running again. With two dead 7S26s in my desk, I feel like I can speak with some authority on that particular subject.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Nucejoe said:

If I may ask, where are you located sushant? 

The reason I ask is, despite its permanent collet, if this is an original  genuine seiko balance, you can have it rebuilt into a complete balance, in India, cheaper than sourcing a single part from abroad.

23 hours ago, spectre6000 said:

Bold! Dive right in! Hairsprings like that are where lessons are learned. CousinsUK sells seiko balance completes at reasonable prices. I got one there recently. Won't come with the cock though. For that you'll need to find an eBay seller breaking movements. Counsins is probably also your best bet for various other parts.

That said, I'm with the crowd on just getting a new movement. Your odds of success look to be quite low at the moment, and you'll go through a lot of balance completes before you have that guy running again. With two dead 7S26s in my desk, I feel like I can speak with some authority on that particular subject.

I also made my account on CousinsUK but cant find Seiko Complete  balance can u provide me any links. Thanks.

8 minutes ago, sushant said:

Punjab

I have seen sample of works by Indian repair shops that are considered very advanced tasks elsewhere. I think there are always those who can rebuilt your balance into a complete  balance and attached to the cock for peanuts. 

10 hours ago, spectre6000 said:

Search for part number SEI310183. Currently out of stock, but that's what you're after.

Balance complete £24.85 plus shipping, new NH36 mov.t on AliX £23.08 inc. shipping, what is the best  purchase?

No matter any explained logic and common sense, it's normal that absolute beginners without knowledge, tools and dexterity will often think to know better, and so perpetuate damage.

• Like 1

Hi   As jdm explained its a no brainer, better to get the replacement movement and write the other off to experience and use it for practise purposes, diss assembling and re assembly that way you gain knowledge and dexterity.   It was always going to be a tough one as the first watch, but lesson learnt.  Have a look at Jon's posts regarding the BFG 866 (Baumegartner) His lessons are clear simple and to the point. The BFG is a simple movement pin lever and the lessons can be transposed to any other watch of the same type of construction.

Also avail yourself of the Videos Mark has placed on UTube and if you can enrol on the courses as if you are serious about servicing watches they will be absolutely essential           Wish you all the best and good luck. 

• Thanks 2

I'll add this to the mix. Sometimes fixing the watch isn't the goal... The movement may be fewer dollars, but if the goal is to fix THAT movement, or to learn how to replace a butchered balance, then the movement is wasted money because it makes zero traction toward the actual goal. I'm not at all advocating one over the other, but it's an argument worth making.

On 10/31/2020 at 9:20 PM, spectre6000 said:

I'll add this to the mix. Sometimes fixing the watch isn't the goal... The movement may be fewer dollars, but if the goal is to fix THAT movement, or to learn how to replace a butchered balance, then the movement is wasted money because it makes zero traction toward the actual goal. I'm not at all advocating one over the other, but it's an argument worth making.

I am really enjoying working with so tiny and small parts, and yes i really trying to achieve some watch repairing skills here. And Secondly i gave my watch for glass change and the AD did a terrible  job he applied so much glue without using any gasket. Its hard to find a good watch repair guy here that's why i am stuck my self.    Need your help guys.