Home Study Courses.

Hi.

I've just joined the group yesterday,,looks interesting, slowly reading my way thro it.

Always been intrigued by watches and their workings,,miniature marvels of engineering.

I would quite like to learn how they work and how to repair them,,purely as a hobby.

The question is,is there a decent home study course available?

I've seen the BHI distance learning course,but it looks like you need access to a machine shop with lathes?

That's something I've no access to.

So is there a course that is purely hand tools only,,without the need for lathes,power tools,etc.

Thanks.

BHI distance course are very good covering all aspects of clock & watch repair. However they are a bit pricey but you do get a one to one tuition which is invaluable especially when learning lathe work etc. Also not sure they are available for non members of BHI

Edited by clockboy

BHI distance course are very good covering all aspects of clock & watch repair. However they are a bit pricey but you do get a one to one tuition which is invaluable especially when learning lathe work etc. Also not sure they are available for non members of BHI

I believe you're right Clockboy and you have to become a member of the BHI before you can do the course

Epping Forest Horology Centre also run courses , I enquired about them at a fair in Maldon , they were going to contact me and arrange for a day to come and have a look round but unfortunately never did :-(

Edited by Andyclient

I've been doing the Time Zone Level 1 course and I'm pretty happy with it. I bought an old pocket watch with a Unitas 6498 movement for the course but unfortunately it had a twisted hairspring.  It's been slow going but I've got everything back together and just waiting for the courage to finish fixing the hairspring. It is very basic and after watching some videos from Mark and tinkering with my $20 Chinese movement I was fairly proficient in general disassembling but the step by step instruction is great.  If you have tinkered some it might be best to just skip Level 1 and go to Level 2 which I believe adds the date complication and they teach you cleaning and oiling as well.

The Time zone course looks good.

A couple of questions regarding it, I'm in the UK, so will it still be OK.

Secondly, I think it says you have to buy the tools along with the course, is this right, as I would rather buy the tools here than have to import them and pay all the taxes.

Thanks for the replies.

Welcome to the site Badger. If you are looking to learn as a hobbyist, why not buy some old cheap watches off fleabay, follow instructions from here and elsewhere & save yourself a fair bit of cost in the process. This is a great site with excellent members willing to help, advise & point you in the right direction. See how you get on.

No offence to the people who run courses, but unless you are looking to gain a qualification to pursue a career in horology, I feel they are a bit of a waste of time & money.

• Like 1

I first did the timezone courses. It was then that I realized I really wanted to do something with watches.

Afterwards I enrolled in the watchmaking school as I wanted a professional setting to learn the job.

And I'm still learning every day :-)

It depends on how serious you are as hobbyist. To improve then a course is quicker than wrecking countless watch movements. It is a fascinating subject & even the pro,s still learn.In my opinion the best course would be a one to one with a tutor such as run by the BHI. Becoming a member of the BHI is approx. £100 per year then there is the cost of the courses. You do get a monthly mag which covers both clock & watch repairs and a range of articles relating to horology.

Edited by clockboy

I took the TZ courses and honestly, I don't feel I wasted my time. They actually were very helpful and no, you don't have to by their tools. For only US75 a course (3 courses), and lifetime commitment with a live instructor on line it is not a bad deal.

Just my 2 cents if it is of any help,

Cheers,

Bob

• 3 weeks later...

The BHI course is intended for you to begin both the acquisition of skills, knowledge, and tools. I've completed the technician DLC and feel it gave me a terrific understanding of both clocks and watches, which it is designed for. It's during the 2nd year program that you really choose to specialize in watcher OR clocks.

Thanks Irishcain. I've just gone and enrolled in the Timezone level 1 course earlier this week. While the BHI course looks good, it's a bit of a big investment and by the looks I would need access to machinery, which I haven't got. So for now the Timezone course will be ok. But who knows in the future, see how I get on I guess.