maker identification

Lovejoy

hallo all , I'm hoping somebody may be able to identify the maker of a french clock for me ... the stamp is in the form of a 6 pointed star with the letters GC in top half with a religous cross shape in the lower half ... and  on the back plate is stamped   1 million   any help out there please . thanks 

5 hours ago, Tudor said:

I'm guessing that cross (on the bottom) is a Swiss cross, and not a religious one.

Otherwise, I'm useless here...

Sorry it was a tad misleading for me to describe it as a religious cross , I meant the shape of it as against a cross indicated by the letter X . cheers 

My thoughts are this is German the 1.Million is a trademark associated with a German company called Lenzkirch who where certainly producing clocks in a French style and also supplying other manufactures with movements in other European country's, it certainly has a more Germanic look to the construction the G.C trademark could be a retailer or importers mark.

1 hour ago, oldhippy said:

That is German. As wis1971 has said the finish is not quite up to the french standard. It could also be  14 day duration, those springs are mighty strong. The case might give us more info by its style and how it is made. 

I'm in the midst of restoring the case so will post pictures once it's done and re assembled , thank you everyone for your help ...

have finished the restoration ... the case is a fairly standard construction .. no fancy dovetail joints in this one , all butt jointed with nails inserted on a hit n miss basis  BUT it's held up well and required minimal attention ... further research seems to support Wls1971 that it is a German movement  1 million series 22 .. I believe ... I can't help feeling that the case is French made , it's right up their alley but I'm not sure and not bothered either .. have attached a couple of pictures including a side elevation showing the coffin like shape ... Thanks to everyone for their help and research , much appreciated ..

019.jpg

018.jpg

020.jpg

• Like 1

You are correct that case is French and a very nice dial the movement has. Quite a common type of French wall clock. 

Here is one I found with just a normal dial.

https://www.bolk-antiques.nl/inventory/clocks/a-very-nice-19th-century-antique-french-wall-clock-signed-friry-laurent-a-bar-le-duc-height-51-cm-price-875-euro-1211593

6 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

You are correct that case is French and a very nice dial the movement has. Quite a common type of French wall clock. 

Here is one I found with just a normal dial.

https://www.bolk-antiques.nl/inventory/clocks/a-very-nice-19th-century-antique-french-wall-clock-signed-friry-laurent-a-bar-le-duc-height-51-cm-price-875-euro-1211593

That's nice too ... I love that shape ... cheers for that 

9 hours ago, oldhippy said:

thank you for that .... had a look, nice clock ... if only not so far away ... there was another one listed in Holland that's similar and their translation of oeil de boeuf was " small round window " which makes less sense to me than "antique bull's eye " .... I'd better get the French dictionary out and see ... oh well , never a dull moment where research is concerned . Cheers

3 hours ago, Lovejoy said:

thank you for that .... had a look, nice clock ... if only not so far away ... there was another one listed in Holland that's similar and their translation of oeil de boeuf was " small round window " which makes less sense to me than "antique bull's eye " .... I'd better get the French dictionary out and see ... oh well , never a dull moment where research is concerned . Cheers

A thought just occured .... I have another oeil de boeuf clock that is round so maybe both translations can be applied to this one ?

cheltenham workshop November 2020 003.JPG