How about showcasing a failure?

So, I have my oil now finally (second shipment actually made it), as well as a shiny new Omega 565 movement holder with an adjustable center support I made today. (That works perfectly!) I’ll start a cheerier thread on that gem...

With my main plate in my new holder, I proceed to remove the balance wheel incabloc assembly for cleaning and oiling. But the spring broke. (Insert colorful metaphors here that curdle milk at 100 yards)

Found a potential donor in a junk 3135 clone movement. Remove it from the junker in about eight seconds and it doesn’t want to go into the Omega. (More metaphors) get out my $25 microscope score... part of the spring is still in there! (Yet more metaphors) tweezers aren’t doing it- screwdriver... nice scratch on the plate later, and it’s out. 

No dice getting the “new” one in. Tried my best to lose the spring twice- once it was under the plate and the second time it had lodged itself in Rodico. (Starting to recycle the metaphors at this point)

Only one thing to do: google that sumbitch. It seems I’ll need to press the setting out of the plate slightly (?) to be able to get the spring in (explains why it didn’t want to come out). I’ve never broken one before, so I don’t have experience replacing it. Any tips or tricks?

4620C5EA-670D-43E4-8CDC-EA41457AFD15.thumb.jpeg.68d4194a1aad5430a30976b0b0fa0c4c.jpeg

I figure the way my luck is going, the donor spring won’t fit after all this. 

And I need more metaphors. 

Edited by Tudor

Yes the setting needs to either come out or at least raised enough to let spring insertion into the housing,  it also gives you a chance to reduce excess endshake by moving the setting from its previous place.

Sometimes I gauge outer circumference of the  housing (not the hole in the plate) a bit to enhance a firm grip on the housing in the plate.

I am not sure if I go with any shock spring other than genuine Omega, if it malfunctions against a shock, a pivot may break or jewels jump out. 

Hope this helps

Good luck.

I’m going to search for a video of changing the spring. I’ve never seen one out amongst the hundreds (or more) watch videos I’ve spent my life on. 

I can barely see, let alone manipulate, the spring. I may have to make some sort of tool to hold it. I really need to see one being changed so I know exactly what I’m doing before I do it. 

Anyone have a spare spring? The setting and jewels are fine. I may set up the staking set tonight...

I recently discovered that Cousins has an assorted pack of shock springs. If you are extremely lucky, you'll find one that fits.

The best tool I found for holding Incabloc springs are eyebrow tweezers. Get one that is wider than the width of the spring. 

Get one end of the spring into the hinge first, then use a small screwdriver to nudge the other end of the spring into the other hole.

It's extremely fiddly. I used a 12X loupe instead of my microscope because if the spring flies off, you can't see where it goes through the eyepiece.

Ok. So, I’ll see if I have suitable stakes and stumps to take it out, and ill check depth before I do, with the jeweling micrometer stop. 

FD rust, I need the right spring. I suspect the one I have is not ideal. I want the right one before I go through all this to have it pop out on me. 

• 2 weeks later...

More thinking:

I believe the setting, in the mainplate, is pressed in fully, to the shoulder. I will be taking careful depth measurements, as well as noting the depth with the jeweling attachment, and hopefully between the two, I will get it right.

One thought was to attempt to set the setting deeper than it currently is. If it doesn't move (and I don't expect any movement) it will confirm it is set to the full depth against the shoulder of the setting.

And Ofrei has the correct spring, which I found after placing an order. THREE phone calls to add to my order went ignored, and they are sending the other stuff without that, according to the email confirmation. Not pleased with them at the moment...

So, today I received what was sold as an NOS complete upper incabloc assembly. It is not in an Omega blister pac so I’ll check the spring color. 

I had hoped to get it in this evening but too much other stuff to do. But once in, I can reassemble, lube and regulate. And now I have spare stones for when I lose that. 

Today’s update. 

Around 10:00pm I finally was able to get some time at the disaster, I mean, bench to try and get this silly thing done. 

That NOS upper incabloc complete is wrong. Wrong size and wrong style. I should send it back. 

the pile of “practice” settings I got from ofrei look more promising. The setting OD is smaller but the spring looks about right. I rigged up the staking  set with the jeweling attachment to check depth of the setting, since I need to slide it out to set the spring in place. It points to zero at depth, so I turned it in two revolutions and pressed gently turned the plate a bit, press again etc. I can see the slot now, got the spring in and then lost it... next spring is not cooperating so I put the mess under cover and gave up for the night. Going in I’ll have to press it too far and then flip the plate so I can set the depth stop and push it back. Oh, broke another spring too. I have brand new #5 tweezers and still managed to snap a leg off. (Got new brass tweezers too but those need some TLC, though not horrible straight out of the bag)

Beyond frustrating this microscopic piece of steel is holding up the entire assembly. 

On 10/28/2020 at 2:16 AM, Tudor said:

(Starting to recycle the metaphors at this point)

image.png.387253a9155dbc985df61a693daf4463.png

Originally published in 1785, the Classical Dictionary of the Vulgar Tongue was one of the first lexicons of English slang, compiled by a militia captain who collected the terms he overheard on his late-night excursions to London's slums, dockyards, and taverns.

Just in case you are running out of expletives and metaphors. ?

ISBN: 9781452184609
ISBN-10: 1452184607
Publisher: Chronicle Books
Publication Date: April 7th, 2020

Edited by AndyHull