New member - UK

Bradders

I’m from the UK. Always liked watches and anything mechanical really. Bought a Seiko SRP777 and a Tudor BB58 during lockdown. Then I stumbled across the Seiko modding ‘scene’ and realised that actually taking watches to bits is fun. I then learned realised I could buy matching movements, cases, dials etc to build my own watch. Bought a skeleton 6497 clone and after realising there’s nothing to hold the hour wheel from falling off (!) my searches for a solution brought me here! Down the rabbit hole I go....

1 hour ago, Bradders said:

I’m from the UK. Always liked watches and anything mechanical really. Bought a Seiko SRP777 and a Tudor BB58 during lockdown. Then I stumbled across the Seiko modding ‘scene’ and realised that actually taking watches to bits is fun. I then learned realised I could buy matching movements, cases, dials etc to build my own watch. Bought a skeleton 6497 clone and after realising there’s nothing to hold the hour wheel from falling off (!) my searches for a solution brought me here! Down the rabbit hole I go....

Already despise myself for using the phrase ‘modding scene’. If you want to ban me now, I’d totally understand ?

• 4 months later...
37 minutes ago, Michael1962 said:

Welcome to the forum @Bradders.

I have scene the term 'modding' several times. what does it actually mean when talking about watches?

Modifying. Usually Seikos. Swapping hands, dials, bezels and inserts, chapter rings etc to create something unique or homage watches. There are loads of websites, Seikomods, Namoki, DLW etc selling various Seiko compatible components. It’s a great hobby if you like tinkering with watches but don’t want to go to ‘deep’ ?