Hello guys. My name is Brad. I have a few automatic and mechanical watches that I would I would like to service, oil gears and such. Are there books with illustrations that help/direct you how to do this yourself. These watches are not very expensive. 

Thanks in advance for any advice

Thanks everyone for the advice. Much appreciated. It is awesome to be able to communicate with others that are watch lovers. I am just beginning my journey into watch collecting and can’t wait to see where it takes me. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

• Topics

• Dear all, my mother gave me a Swiss pocket watch made by Robert, Gerth & Cie in 1889. It belonged to my great-great-grandfather. Wonderful watch - already with a Swiss lever escapement. Unfortunately someone in the past has taken out the the two wheels of the Geneva stop work in the mainspring barrel lid. The distance between the centers of the wheels are 4 mm. I know that it is highly unlikely to find a scrapper movement with exactly the same dimensions for the maltese cross and the finger. However I found an bought a cardboard box on ebay UK with about 100 antique mainspring barrels. And indeed in one of the barrels I found a stop work with exactly 4 mm center to center.  A fellow named Jules Grossmann from LeLocle in Switzerland wrote a treatise on watchmaking in 1905 called Lessons in Horology. In there he describes the mathematical construction of the Geneva stop work. If you follow his instructions you can very easily make a drawing. To cut a long story short. All the dimensions fit the wheels I have sourced almost perfectly (give or take a few 1/100th). Now to the problem: The hole in the maltese cross is too small for the seat on the barrel lid. However this can be easily fixed in the lathe. The square hole of the finger wheel (1.3 mm) is too large for the square on the barrel arbour (1.0 mm).  Since I am only an amateur I have absolutely no idea how to go from here. What would a watchmaker proper do?  Thanks and all the best from Hamburg, Alex     2020_sept_r_g_cie_federhaus_federhausbruecke.bmp
    • I hold the hand with a drop of Rodico on the end of whatever is handy at the moment...
    • Welcome!  Just read around a bit and you'll discover all the parts suppliers.
    • Welcome! I'm going to go out on a limb and assume you have a fondness for Omega's products?
    • Welcome! Many hairsprings have fallen victim to my, er, techniques...