Clarifications on cleaning by hand

Question

Hi guys,

I’m following Marks course level 2 at the moment. 

I’m not clear at all about the cleaning by hand process, I will put my doubt underneath:

• I’ve got myself Zippo lighter fluid, and also Bergeron One-dip solution. It is not clear to me when to use one or the other, or if they are alternative to each other.
  • Phases: Soak, rinse, clean by hand, rinse again...what’s the exact order to follow in cleaning by hand?
  • In the course is said to do a rinse with fresh fluid starting with the balance assembly. Does this imply that the balance assembly is cleaned only one? Or do I do 2 rounds changing fluid, both rounds started with the balance assembly?

Thanks again for clarifications and any additional tips, or the method you use to clean by hand (I will think about a cleaning machine in the future but I’ve spent already a lot of money to start with!)

M

• Like 1

2 answers to this question

You'll find lots of different opinion about cleaning and which fluids to use.  Here are some points that may help you.

Lighter fluid is pretty much like One-Dip except one-dip is pure, won't leave a residue and is expensive.

I keep 2 glass bottles of lighter fluid (actually Renata Essence).  One for cleaning, one for rinsing. 

When the first bottle starts to look dirty (maybe after cleaning 5 movements) I empty it (responsibly) and use the rinse bottle as my clean bottle and make up a new rinse bottle.

I would soak parts in the first bottle for 5 minutes while agitating it with a hand blower.  For stubborn oil use a soft brush.  For very stubborn marks use pegwood.  Then put everything in the rinse bottle for 5 minutes and agitate again.  Finally move the parts onto clean paper (I use normal A4 printer paper) and air dry with a hand blower.  At this point I inspect each part and use rodico to remove any residue.

I would save your one-dip for the balance complete and possibly the pallet fork.  Some cleaning fluids can attack and soften the shellac but one-dip is safe.  Renata Essence and lighter fluid is also ok to use on parts with shellac.  Do not use IPA on these parts.

The above is more or less what I do. 

Balance complete and pallet fork get one dip (more than once) with scrupulous inspection along the way. 

The rest bathes in Ronsinol and dried on watch paper (once the heavy stuff is off) as many times as needed, and final rinse is 91% minimum Isopropyl alcohol, and then a dry with the blower. I like to keep the Ronsinol film on everything until I’m ready to assemble, at which point I do the alcohol right before oiling. 

Keep the alcohol away from the balance and pallet fork due to the shellac. Many members have dipped in alcohol with no problem but since you have one dip, use that only. 

• Similar Content

• By Graziano
      I hope I have posted in the right section. It is a tool I guess. I would like to share with you if you don't already know a way to bring back the shine on old pocket watch movements. In the photos I grabbed an old barrel from the parts bin and dipped it in Shinebrite for about 10 Min. Then I placed it on bolsa wood and give it a scub with a medium hardness small paint brush for a few more minutes. Rinse it under the tap and yeah the shine is back. I do this with stained plated movements as well. Gets rid of tarnish better than other methods I know. 

• By mattconn24
      Guys I just received a Master model cleaner and I am going to have to completely rewire the machine. I would like to convert it to a mastermatic be replacing the forward and reverse switch with a time relay circuit. Has anyone done this and if so any guidance would amazing. Thanks. 
    • By Speedster1968
      Hi fellow watch enthusiasts, I hope you are keeping safe & well.
      Having tinkered for a while, and completed the second of Mark's on-line course, I'm taking the plunge and undertaking a full dismantle, clean and reassemble of an old 1960's Tissot Seastar.  As a result I have two questions, if I may.
      I read somewhere, that I should not subject the pallet fork to the harsh cleaning fluids, as it may damage the delicate End Stones.  Is this accurate and correct and are there any other components that I should not put in the harsh cleaning fluid..? 
      In addition, I've managed to secure a NOS replacement main spring.  I'm assuming that as its been sitting around for a good while it will need lubricating.  It there a method of lubricating the main spring without the need to unfurl it from the temporary housing it comes in, or once inserted into the barrel..?
      Many thanks
      Phil

• By MrRoundel
      Greetings folks. I've been working on watches as a hobby for about 20 years now.  I started out on pocket watches and have never cleaned a clock. In fact, I had a great cleaning machine, with the big jars, and a few other clock tools, that I gave away to an aspiring clock guy over at the Tascione site. But I digress...
      Nearly 20 years ago I bought a Hamilton model 21 ship's chronometer. It's an early one, pre 400 serial number, and is a thing of beauty, as these generally are. Back when I got it, I had a professional service it for me. It was done well, but wasn't cheap. $400-500, IIRC. I used to display it in my living room and run it occasionally just to hear the escapement and marvel it its accuracy. From about 2009 to 2014 it sat in my storage unit, waiting for new digs. In 2014 I wound it up and it took off running. I let it run down and then put it away for a couple of years. When I pulled it out, I discovered that it had a broken balance pivot. While originally I thought someone had knocked it over and wasn't copping to it, but now, after inspecting the upper pivot's wear, I don't think that's the case.
      After botching the first staff I got trying to replace the hub, I set it aside again for the past couple of years. The way I broke the staff was I overestimated how deep the hollowness went in my hollow punch that I was using to tap it on. It bottomed out in the punch and destroyed the pivot.
      Now that I'm finally over that disappointment, I decided to give it another go. I bought a staff that already had the hub installed. I may have to polish the lower pivot, as it doesn't seem to want to set in the hole jewel properly. I'm in the process of verifying all of this. I had to tear down the chronometer at least to the point where I could check to see if the broken part of the pivot was impeding the staff from setting properly. The hole jewel is clear.
      I'm doing the best I can to do it right, and get it running again. I won't be running it, but want it running just in case I should decide to sell it. Otherwise the value drops quite a bit. Since I have it completely torn down now, I might as well clean and oil it. Does anyone have a hot tip on the best cleaning solutions for cleaning these chronometers? I'd like to use something that will cross over and work for my cleaning of watches as well. I have both an ultrasonic and the small L&R mechanical. I have one more fresh batch of cleaner and rinse, petroleum, no-water, formula. Should I use that, or make, or get, something new? Any tips for oil and grease types to get me by? Any suggestions are appreciated.
      I do have the Manual for the movement.
      I know that this is risky business, my working on this chrono, but I just can't afford to spend another $500 to get it running. Plus, I heard that if you're going to run these, you've got to spend this $500 or so to service them every few years. That is not going to happen. Feedback, suggestions, warnings, tips, etc., are all welcome. Many thanks. Cheers.

• By jakobvinkas
      Hello, I could not fint any answer to this on any other thread.
      Im using Isopropyl alcohol for the last step of hand cleaning movements. However i can not find a good way to throw used liquid away. How do you do it, I know that the liquid will turn into gas eventually however since i fill a small jar there is always going to come times when i need to throw it away. Where do i throw it?
      How do you do it?
      Thanks in advance, Jakob