New here, moved by old watches found at home!

Hello there, my name is Michele, I’m Italian but I live in London. 

During the day (and sometimes during the night!) I’m an airline pilots but it has been years that I have a deep passion for watches. 

I own a few, although nothing super expensive, but watches that I love and cherish.

It is now time to move to something deeper, such as looking under the hood and develop this lovely hobby for the long dark winter nights.

The trigger was the will to restore a couple of old watches that I got from my father, an AVIA that was my grandfather's (I never met him) And a CYMA Tavannes.

I am looking forward to debating any subjects with you!

Thanks a lot and read you soon!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

• Topics

• Things Remembered is a company that has or perhaps had stores located in malls. Their website still indicates they have stores but all the ones in my location have disappeared. as you can see from the link below they still have an online presence. But they're not the only people that do engraving just do a search online there's lots of other companies including companies in the malls that do engraving. https://www.thingsremembered.com/
    • Mishaps can only be reduced, we improve, gain confidence, dexterity and    .... through practice, so Welcome to the club.
    • it probably depends upon what school you go to as one of the schools I went to their favorite tool was this one found at the link below. it appears to be no longer in the Bergeon catalog so I assume it was discontinued also. Probably because it's rather expensive. https://www.nielsmachines.com/de/verkauft-bergeon-5478-mofres-balance-staff-remove.html I suspect what you're seeing with Swiss tools is the perception of what they perceive is needed. In other words the perception is that people are no longer changing balance staffs in modern watch repair because they just replacing the balance complete. knocking the staff out only works some of the time. You have to understand what you're doing when you using the tools.  my experiences with the K&D tool it would also apply to the other one. basically what it is if you attempt to knock the staff out and it shows resistance then you have to have a  lathe. Especially when you get in the vintage watches for a variety of reasons the rivet is extreme and driving it out is not in the best option. one of the schools I was that the instructor showed how before knocking out input the balance in the  lathe and you just weaken the rivet. He always had perfect success with that but if you're an instructor in a classroom you get really good at doing balance staffs. Then unfortunately especially if you're doing vintage watches you going to need a lathe. Often times staffs have to be modified or pivots have to be refinished.  
    • Hello, As suggested I'm introducing myself. Been lurking for a short while.. An enthusiastic amateur, looking for some encouragement. Started on a Sekonda pocket watch a few years back which I managed to disassemble and put back together working! Very pleased with myself, but was never brave enough to take on a wristwatch until recently.  Today I was doing so well a number of close calls with losing springs and then by some miracle finding them. Got the movement back together and in the last stretch the balance spring assembly slipped out of the movement and tangled itself around the movement holder... Completely mangling itself. Plenty of choice words. Should I be discouraged? Currently I'm using it as a learning experience, I'm sure I'm not the first or the last. So much to learn. Hopefully from the wise on this forum.   
    • Hi a couple of basic information for your interest and to fire the passion. 1612608791_ToolsfortheHobbyist.pdf TZIllustratedGlossary.pdf