My Oris for repair

kabong

I have no recollection of buying it, but I must have picked it up a watch fair in Birmingham for 5 or 10 pounds. It winds a bit and runs a tiny bit.

Once I finish the watch course then I will attempt to get this watch working.

I really like the styling so will attempt to fix it, but I guess it was cheap at the fair for a reason... probably unrepairable!

20201027_144341.jpg

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, kabong said:

I really like the styling so will attempt to fix it, but I guess it was cheap at the fair for a reason... probably unrepairable!

More than likely it just needs cleaned and serviced. I've seen quite a number of good looking watches get discarded, simply because the owner is not willing to pay to get them serviced.

• Like 1

Vintage Oris is collectable, specially if the movement is in-house.

Judging from the subsecomd this is an in-house and when in good running condition should fetch aprox $ 200, depending on the condition of the bezel, specially back of the bezel for wear due to swet of wrist,  it is worth more if bezel is in good shape.

Dial is in decent conditon, check dial feet.

Caliber is engraved on barrel bridge. 

Oris did use swiss calibers made in Asia.

Check for price on ebay as only the ones in excellent aesteic shape fetch considerably more, Genuine Oris crowns are signed.

No matter what is wrong under the hood, it is fixable.

1 minute ago, kabong said:

As a noob can you explain the brave bit please?

456KIF came in 7 & 15 jewels versions, I see little improvement to be gained by adding 8 jewels whilst the escapement remained the old pin pallet in 15 jewels variant too.

Jewels brought lots of improvement to watches, there for couple of decades whoever put more jewels in the movements attracted more customers.  jewels with no technical significance were added to the movement, whereas remaking a jeweled escapement was costly. 

• Thanks 1