Hettich Clock

Michael1962

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

I am after recommendations on clear gloss varnish. If I go down to my local Bunnings, I can get clear gloss spray varnish, but the can states for wood. It does not mention any metal on the 'Suitable For' line.

Is there anything that I should be looking for?

• 2 weeks later...

Ok. Good news. Work area taking shape. Was able to pick up a set of smooth jaw pliers,5 in fact, and they look great. From what I have seen of them when I have looked them over they appear quite good. I also bought an led lamp with a magnifying lens. I also picked up the second stronger lens. 3 dioptre and 5 dioptre. Once I checked on the Internet and looked at one of the movements through the 5 dioptre lens, it doesn’t magnify enough. 
I am not keen on the idea of single eye loupes, but I am not sure what sort of magnification I will need? 
5 dioptre works out to 2.25 or thereabouts. 
Not enough.

Any recommendations @oldhippy @watchweasol ?

Edited by Michael1962

The strongest eye glass I had was a 2. Have you looked at those headband magnifiers? Have a look here and see if you think any look suitable for you. 

https://www.google.com/search?q=headband+magnifiers&rlz=1C1GCEA_enGB908GB908&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwj08NGGiLTuAhU-ShUIHRXoB3kQ_AUoAnoECAMQBA&biw=1536&bih=723

I have also found a lacquer and brasso so that is good. There are places in Geelong that redo chrome so that’s another plus. Got to repaint the rear door of the clock. I am sure it was gloss black. I’ll take lots of photos before I start so that I can then show before and after photos to you learned gentlemen. 
I’m really looking forward to this. 

Hi Michael  I use both a head band magnifier and also a double lens which clips on the side arm of my glasses, The one I have has two lenses which can be used singly or together. There are some with three.   The head band is similar to the one in Oldhippys post.  I have several types used for different jobs. as a spectacle wearer the head band ones are the most  used.           cheers

headband binoculars with light.jpg

Loupe 1.jpg

I had a look at a headband one today. I can't imagine that the headband would be comfortable after a few hours and it had a little flip down monocular like the headband above. However, I am left eye dominant and since my stroke, depending on how I look out of my right eye (non-dominant side), I suffer from nystagmus.

I'll let you look that up. Suffice to say it makes steady vision out of my right eye basically impossible when it happens. The tireder I get, the worse it sometimes becomes.

On 1/24/2021 at 6:41 PM, oldhippy said:

The strongest eye glass I had was a 2. Have you looked at those headband magnifiers? Have a look here and see if you think any look suitable for you. 

https://www.google.com/search?q=headband+magnifiers&rlz=1C1GCEA_enGB908GB908&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwj08NGGiLTuAhU-ShUIHRXoB3kQ_AUoAnoECAMQBA&biw=1536&bih=723

Still looking as I need to make sure that whatever I get does not require it to rest on my nose. I have to maintain my glasses as my eyes are corrected differently.

What is the point of a 1 x lens?

On 1/24/2021 at 9:04 AM, watchweasol said:

Hi Michael  I use both a head band magnifier and also a double lens which clips on the side arm of my glasses, The one I have has two lenses which can be used singly or together. There are some with three.   The head band is similar to the one in Oldhippys post.  I have several types used for different jobs. as a spectacle wearer the head band ones are the most  used.           cheers

headband binoculars with light.jpg

Loupe 1.jpg

I use the eyeglass-attached magnifier.  Partly, I guess, because it is what my dad used.  However, you lose depth perception.  I have several sets of the headband magnifiers which I have used for electronics work.  I also have several magnifier lamps.  I may rethink my approach and maybe go the headband route in order to get depth perception.

I'm going to try and go down to my optometrist tomorrow.

I wonder how hard it is to change the flip down magnifier to the left side os some of the headband units that you see? On the one above it looks like it is just a matter of changing the screws over.

Just found a website selling a 2 LED headband with polycarbonate lenses.

Except, same range of photos and one seller is $54.94. Another is $57.95. The third is $19.99 and comes with three batteries for free to run the LEDs.

I just cannot believe that the third one is what you see in the photos or the first two are ripping people off blind.

The worst thing is that no shops here carry them so there is nothing to look at.

• 4 weeks later...

Well I have a magnifier just like the one that the lady has on in the photo above.

Other than that, my daughters new partner has told me that a friend of his does signwriting etc. and will be able to produce the HETTICH logo as well as the 'Made In West Germany' for the face. I presume much like Letraset letters I believe.

I also had to remove all the paint from the rear door and it is steel. I am going to have to clean it up and repaint it as well. I had already tried to repaint it, but the paint that I first tried did not take correctly on a corner. Maybe not prepared sufficiently. I am pretty sure that it is just gloss black.

I am so looking forward to getting into all of the clocks that I have to restore.

Hi michael  To change it over to the left eye will require a spacer as the one on the picture looks to be screwed on a post. I did something similar with one of mine as I too work with the left eye and most seem to be for the right eye. 

Looks like the clock is getting some serious attention well done.

10 hours ago, oldhippy said:

How did you get on with your Ophthalmologists?

Guilty as charged your honour.

I have been so busy with giving our front porch and balcony a birthday (Which is a lot of work. Don't let your wife tell you any different!) that I haven't gone in to see them.

I have a doctors appointment today and I have to go and buy some stainless steel screws (yes, for the balcony), So I will drop in then and see them and ask some questions. I'll be honest @oldhippy, I had completely forgotten.

I shall now go and sit in the corner. Until I have to drive to the doctors obviously.

8 hours ago, watchweasol said:

Hi michael  To change it over to the left eye will require a spacer as the one on the picture looks to be screwed on a post. I did something similar with one of mine as I too work with the left eye and most seem to be for the right eye. 

Looks like the clock is getting some serious attention well done.

I am pretty positive that the one on mine is just a spacer on a long screw, but I may be wrong. Now it's bugging me that I don't know.

I got this one as you can get up to 10x. It was the only one I could find in Geelong. And yes I need 10x.

I am left eye dominant so hopefully I can shift the monocle over easily.

Edited by Michael1962

• 2 weeks later...

As I was repainting our letter box and street number doohickeys at the front of our house, I also started the task of painting primer on the rear door of this clock. Rubbing the primer back with wet & dry in between coats.

I have had the door sitting in some Metal Rescue and while it cleaned the door up nicely, I am still;l having a lot of trouble getting the primer to adhere nicely to where the acid has attacked the door.

Once I get the primer sorted and sanded back, will then put the door aside safely. The simple catch mechanism that was on it was a plate riveted to a knob on the outside of the door. That has corroded through as well so I am going to look at removing the remaining part of the knob rivet and drill and tap a hole for a screw.

• 4 weeks later...

I have begun working on the rear door of the Hettich for a couple of hours. Painting the door tomorrow. Cleaning up the brass parts for the catch. I have an idea for fixing the catch. It was a brass rivet through the catch plate. That has just worn out. I have two ideas. Will post more about what I am doing once I have painted the door and can do some measurements.

I'll start posting up some photos. Also have amnestying idea for the battery compartment spring retainer. I remember the original. It was a tension spring that was insulated on one end. Just pulled and anchored onto the other end to hold the battery. I am going to use a smaller tension spring and then a loop of leather as the insulator. Should look quite neat when it is done.

@oldhippy, my optometrist told me to use a headband so that I could keep my glasses on. Otherwise I would have slightly different focus points with a headband without my glasses. 

I'll be honest, it isn't the easiest. My eyes can play up a bit the tireder that I get and since my stroke my brain (yes, you read that correctly) can sometimes have trouble putting two images together to make one image. It can be especially difficult the through the headband.