7750 Mystery Part

Mark/Guys stripped the 7750 with no issues apart from the Chronograph Wheel was very tight. In the process the Friction spring bent (ordered another) however my worst fear has happened when I removed the completely  stripped watch movement there was a part laying in the bottom of the holder. Has anyone any idea where it goes. It is small with a small step and is holed I was wondering if it fits inside the friction spring.

post-234-0-89307000-1426072960_thumb.jpg

Mark, It is smaller than the centre post BUT on the reverse side of the post it fits although loose. It could be this as this was the area that was very tight when removing the Chronograph wheel.  A worry because although fits it's loose. Does this look right though see pic.

post-234-0-44236100-1426075881_thumb.jpg

No Clockboy - it does not go there.

Actually looking closely at it, it really looks like part of one of the hands. Either one of the sub dial hands or the chronograph seconds hand. Check them.

• Like 1

doesn't seems to be a part which is supposed to come off. At least I never encountered it when working on the 7750.

So I think the suggestion Mark made is a good one.

I was first thinking on a locator pin or something, but as it is holed that probably won't be the case.

Yes - they literally knock these on with a hammer - there is a Youtube video showing this somewhere but I can't find it right now.

I usually fit the tube back on the pivot after the watch is assembled and then push the hand back onto the tube. If it is too loose then you could use a very tiny spot of epoxy on the cut-away part of the tube before pushing the hand on, and I mean tiny! :)

Good call Mark. I had a similar problem with my Chronostop and had to buy a new hand. :(

Problem is that Breitling hands are very hard to obtain. I guess Omega parts will too soon.

Thanks guys, Yes the hands were really tight to remove. I usually align all three & remove together but just too tight so removed one at a time. The problem also with these hands & dial they are coated with some sort of ceramic and the minute hand did lose a tiny bit when removing the seconds hand. If I cannot purchase one I will have to repair.

PS Thanks for the link Morton  228 Kron is approx. £21

Edited by clockboy

I had this problem with a cheapo watch (Citizen from the bay) and glued as Mark suggests. It wasn't an easy fix...the way Mark suggest doing it is probably easier. I hope you find the replacement CB, at the risk of repeating myself: it is not an easy fix!

Cheers,

Bob

I had the same thing happen with the 7750 I was working on. I noticed it before I removed the dial however. Now I did find an easy fix. I put the tube on an old broach to hold it in place while I worked on it. Put a little glue on the top of the tube and then set the hand in place. Once you get the hand placed on the tube you can then take the assembled hand off the broach and lay it down tube up and apply some more pressure on the tube to get it set straight and proper.

Charles K

Mark/Guys stripped the 7750 with no issues apart from the Chronograph Wheel was very tight. In the process the Friction spring bent (ordered another) however my worst fear has happened when I removed the completely stripped watch movement there was a part laying in the bottom of the holder. Has anyone any idea where it goes. It is small with a small step and is holed I was wondering if it fits inside the friction spring.

attachicon.gifMystery part.jpg

I usually add 9010 oil in the hand hole 15mins. Before removal of the hand.

Start the chrono stop and reset few times, the oil goes between the hand tube and the chrono seconds wheel and makes it easier to remove it.

Afterwards i use the presto canon pinion remiver and remove the chrono seconds hand alone and all the rest afterwards.

The damage is now done but you will know for the future

Br

Emso

br

emso

P.s.sent from my s****y phone,so sorry for typing mistakes

• Like 1

Great tip Emso wish I knew before. These hands have a ceramic type coating so they are really delicate and the ceramic damages incredibly easy. I expect Breitling use special tools to fit & re-fit. I suppose re-fitting they will be tight as well

Edited by clockboy

Breitling uses hammer to set them.

I did not believe their video, but during the training they told us to use the hammer technique and they were strongly for it

br

emso

P.s.sent from my s****y phone,so sorry for typing mistakes

That's good info Emso, like you I would have found hard to believe that they hammer the hands on.

The only watch I have had to very gently hammer on a hand was an old trench watch, but that was required because of the unusual cannon pinion setup.

Edited by Geo