new member, need advise

ctw2118

I am from california, bay area; been busy with the election and reading the propositions and measures, it gets complicated and wonder how the lay person have the wits and time to figure. these ballot issues can be tricky.

Anyhow, i have got a bulova automatic, 7-256305, thats what on the case.

The stem cannot engaged the hands and adjust the time. i pulled all way out, turning the stem does nothing, I cannot adjust the date either.

I have done some watch repair ie remove stem etc

Can some pls advise the procedure to fix

Thank you for your introduction and welcome to this friendly forum.

It could be a number of things. The best thing is to remove the movement from the case, remove hands and dial and see what you have. You could then post photos and upload them so we can advise. If you do not feel you are able to undertake this type of repair then you need to take it to a pro watch repairer. 

• Like 1

Per Nucejoe, 

Dose it wind through stem?

its an automatic bulova circa 1980; 7-256305 inscribed on cover. does that describe the movement type;

when the stem is pulled,  just a bit out ie first stop, there is  no winding resistance or winding engagement-sound.

Dose the stem stay put in set position?

no sure what is set position; the crown is a screwed on type.

However, the stem can only be pulled out for 1 click, and not 2 as i was expecting b'coz there is the day-date adjust as well.

I did opened up and removed the stem to check..the stem released easily, and  locked up when inserted, but nothing obvious.

I have no experience with dial or hands removal, would need recommendation for tool purchase ( pls recommend source)

and procedures to remove dial and hands.  

thanks for any help..Calvin

20201022_134937.jpg

20201022_135008.jpg

Welcome. 

Based on how the date and day wheels look, it’s going to need to come apart, and it might as well get a full service at that time. 

There should be a few possibilities in the Bay Area for repairing that Bulova. I suspect it’s an ETA movement, which parts are available for. 

A proper wroking set mechanisim keeps the stem put in set position, to set the time you would pull the stem out to set position and pull out to other positions for complications such as day/date ....etc.

Date&day disk cover the set mech, you might end up having to remove them in addition to dial to get to set mech to replace a part if broken. 

More often than not, you haven't broken anything but misaligned parts in the set mech.

Many of Mark lovick's videos show how he removes the dial safely.

• 4 months later...