Hello everyone,

I started collecting watches a few years ago and have decided I would like to be able to look after them myself and so begins my journey into watch repair and maintenance. At the moment I have gone through some of the course and am gathering the tools needed. I have started to tinker with some old quartz watches while I work up the courage to actually try to take apart a mechanical watch and put it together again. I've bought a job lot of old watches and have selected one to begin practicing on. It appears to be a clone of a Tag Heur  Carrera and I've run into a  problem. There  doesnt appear to be a way to release the crown from the case that I can see. I've loosened any screws which are visible but the crown remains firmly in place. Any suggestions or hints would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

mmg

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

• Topics

• Cleaning machine users feel the need to use proprietary, expensive solutions, for this, that, then for rinse 1 or rinse 2. In reality the process should be varied depending on what you are cleaning, for example if you have brass parts that you want to make shine you should use some ammonia based product, but if you don't, that wold be totally useless. Then about rinsing, what it is after all? Nothing but getting rid of any dirt freed and left in suspension from the previous bath, for that distilled or demineralized water is perfect, since you cannot use a water jet with a car after soap sponging. Just look the benzine jar against the  light, if there particles floating then discard and rinse again until nothing can be seen anymore. And then IPA is great final rinse because it absorbs water so to make drying faster. However in the end, cleaning is just like lubrication, you will always meet someone that thinks and does different from  you, just like the good old book above says. Today I spoke to a guy which said that dressing drivers on a stone is wrong and one should use a file because the stone wears out, I guess he never handled an Arkansas stone or an €1.50 aluminum oxide.
    • Hello all, I found my Grandads pocket watch. The rest is history.
    • In the pdf I posted above look up cal 620 (third line up from the bottom of page 1) Jewel hole is 311.75 End stone is 222.11 Spring is 270.02 Check these part numbers in the relevant sections of Cousins web site on the link that I posted. not at all sure what these numbers refer to, where did you get them from?
    • It’s good if you can use a quality petroleum distillate like L&R rinse for example, but in practice good quality lighter fuels work well for this purpose. If you are concerned with residues then perform an evaporation rest. Like oldhippy suggests, I’ve also used lighter fuel probably hundreds of times and never had an issue with it.    There are other important factors at play when it comes to using solvents, such as whether or not you re-use them or not. 
    • A great watch. Treasure it.