Omega 1022 - runs fast

Khan

Hi

Despite serviced at prof watchmaker, it runs half an hour too fast per day, even if its demagnetised. I have tried re-clean the balance and regulating the watch but no luck. There is a noise coming from the balance spring when running, as if the spring is sticking to something. But the spring seem flat from section view and intact. 

20201016_034215.jpg

20201016_034126.jpg

20201016_025206.jpg

Hi Khan,   Coil looks too close to stud so it can hit the stud upon expansion, judging by the picture, the free section of terminal curve( between regulator arm and stud)  is too close to coil too. 

Center the coil. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Nucejoe said:

Hi Khan,   Coil looks too close to stud so it can hit the stud upon expansion, judging by the picture, the free section of terminal curve( between regulator arm and stud)  is too close to coil too. 

Center the coil. 

Are you sure the stud is seated correctly? It looks like it might be pointing inwards, which would cause the coil to be too close to the stud.

• Thanks 1

In light of mikepilks point, the noise is possibly from loose stud, in which case it should sound unfamiliar and unlike anything you or your tg has heard before.

Make sure stud screw is tight on stud, before you manipulate the end curve, loose stud might also explain why the end curve is unparallel with other circles of the coil.

A side view close up of the coil helps, it seems like end curve is unlevel with the coil.

On 10/16/2020 at 2:38 PM, Khan said:

Despite serviced at prof watchmaker, it runs half an hour too fast per day, even if its demagnetised. I have tried re-clean the balance and regulating the watch but no luck. There is a noise coming from the balance spring when running, as if the spring is sticking to something. But the spring seem flat from section view and intact. 

Out of curiosity did the professional watchmaker return the watch running 30 minutes a day fast?

Was there a reason for cleaning the balance wheel? Did it look like it was having a problem? Then I don't suppose you have a timing machine? Even though if you're running that fast the typical timing machine is not going to work.

It would've been nice to have one more picture Of the watch without the balance wheel in the watch. Another source of noise problems could be the screws holding the pallet fork bridge in place.

Then thank you for the pictures you didn't give us as they reveal something interesting. Did you notice the roller jewel it is in alignment with the balance arms? That makes it insanely easy to put this watch in beat. If the first picture is the balance wheel of no power the arm of the balance wheel should be over the pallet fork jewel and it's not by quite a bit.

Then as pointed out by rodabod It's usually best to look at the balance wheel in the watch as that is usually where the problem is.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It might be a trick of the camera shot but these coils look very close to each other. It only needs one coil to stick / touch another coil and it will run fast. It could be magnetised. Also as J has said was it OK when it was returned. 

1520466240_ScreenShot2020-10-18at13_22_35.png.9c670c15a384ac4cf578d46a0e0334a7.png

• Thanks 1

Hi

Thanks for all the generous responses. The watch was serviced a couple of years ago and has been sitting in a box since. Haven't worn it after service, unfortunately. I don't have a timegrapher, I use an android app called "clock tuner", works good enough mostly. It runs half to one hour fast by checking in it a day. It was running 5 min fast prior to service as well. I re-cleaned the balance because the coils were sticking in all the circles, also after demagnetizing it. But it still sticks occasionally in the outer coil. I hope there is another solution than spring manipulation in this case. 

20201018_163603.jpg

20201018_163359.jpg

20201018_163442.jpg

35 minutes ago, Khan said:

I don't have a timegrapher

You definitely need one to work on movements, much more than an expensive balance tack, which main function is to distort the hairspring.

There are parameter and visual information as discussed here so many times, than no application based on the embedded microphone will ever show.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, jdm said:

much more than an expensive balance tack, which main function is to distort the hairspring

Always happy to see somebody who agrees with me that balance tack is the work of the devil. Okay when you're in school and make one a nice training exercise for using the lathe but not good for hanging the balance wheel. At least in my personal experience.

8 hours ago, clockboy said:

It might be a trick of the camera shot but these coils look very close to each other.

This is my complaint of the problem isn't outside of the watch the problems in the watch. Pictures of the balance wheel outside of the watch can give bad impressions. Bad impressions lead to bad diagnostics like based on the pictures outside of the watch I would get a balance complete. Versus pictures inside the watch where it doesn't look that bad.

6 hours ago, Khan said:

I don't have a timegrapher, I use an android app called "clock tuner", works good enough mostly.

From your experience it works okay mostly. The problem is from our experience it doesn't work very well at all and leads to bad diagnostics and wasted time for all of us.

6 hours ago, Khan said:

I re-cleaned the balance

What did you clean the balance with and was it attached the bridge at the time?

6 hours ago, Khan said:

It runs half to one hour fast by checking in it a day. It was running 5 min fast prior to service as well.

Can I assume that when I came back from servicing that it was keeping time?

On 10/16/2020 at 2:38 PM, Khan said:

There is a noise coming from the balance spring when running, as if the spring is sticking to something.

I don't suppose you could record the noise for us?

6 hours ago, Khan said:

"clock tuner"

When you use your app what does it say is going on maybe post a picture.

6 hours ago, Khan said:

It runs half to one hour fast by checking in it a day. It was running 5 min fast prior to service as well. I re-cleaned the balance because the coils were sticking in all the circles, also after demagnetizing it. But it still sticks occasionally in the outer coil. I hope there is another solution than spring manipulation in this case. 

Were still stuck with a minor problem of what was the watch doing after it was serviced? Let's make the wild assumption that it was probably fine. What did you clean the coils with as maybe didn't do a very good job. I would resist bending the hairspring to fix a real or imaginary problem until we really know what the problem is. Because if the watch was running fine after servicing unless you bent the hairspring taking it out or hanging it on the balance tack then the hairspring should still be fine.

Hi

Thanks for reminding me purchasing a timegrapher. I realize the practicality of it afterall. Principally, I remove the cap jewel and clean the balance without removing it from the balance cock, in petroleum. The watch ran very bad, first time I used the watch, witch was very recently. 

Hi

I figured it out by manipulating with spacing around 2 o'clock on first image. 2nd and third image are after manipulation. There is no more musical sound of coils scratching each other and keeping since 3 hours and hoping for the best. Thanks again for all the input, really appreciate the helpfulness here. 

20201019_050808.jpg

20201019_053820.jpg

20201019_060414.jpg

• Like 1