This, Just in! (Staking and jeweling set)

In terms of punch width/tolerance, what’s important to me is that the punches can grip the tool hole well enough such that they don’t drop and can smoothly be adjusted in height (especially when the punch is going onto a balance wheel). 

12 hours ago, Rocket said:

I have a Simonet 450 lathe. Its a bit of work to do on it. But it works. Though, unfortunately missing the milling and grinding equipment. And some W20 collets. And yes. Not only strange pitch threads on them. They are expensive as they were made I gold. Nice quality though!  Bit big for watch work I want to learn about. So also looking for a 6 or 8mm collet lathe. Dream would be a F3 mill to play with too. Hopefully in the future. ?

I had a Simonet 450 for a while but sold it on before ever really running it. Very very nice machines. Milling and grinding attachments for Schaublin 102 should work fine. W20 collets are quite plentiful secondhand and sell for far less than the W12, which so many Schaublin 70 owners are constantly looking for.

I have a Schaublin 102, which is the same center height as the Simonet 450. I find that with that and my 8mm (50mm center height) lathe I can cover everything I've needed to do, the perfect combination. I had a 70 for a short while and sold it on, just a little too big for small work and a little too small for bigger work, haha.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nickelsilver said:

I had a Simonet 450 for a while but sold it on before ever really running it. Very very nice machines. Milling and grinding attachments for Schaublin 102 should work fine. W20 collets are quite plentiful secondhand and sell for far less than the W12, which so many Schaublin 70 owners are constantly looking for.

I have a Schaublin 102, which is the same center height as the Simonet 450. I find that with that and my 8mm (50mm center height) lathe I can cover everything I've needed to do, the perfect combination. I had a 70 for a short while and sold it on, just a little too big for small work and a little too small for bigger work, haha.

Not wanting to interrupt the staking thread. But a 8mm with crosslide would be nice. Maby grinding tools. But we well c what one can find. ?

• 3 weeks later...

Some further info on this thread.

I found a seller on eBay with NOS Marshall staking stakes and stumps. (eBay seller btlgrd - he also has a fair bit of Levin lathe parts) I will be ordering the one broken one, as well as a couple sizes that were not included with my set when sold new- I will then have every stake and stump Marshall made (and probably use 1/10th of them in my lifetime...)

I am attaching a couple pages that those with Marshall sets may find useful when searching for stakes and stumps. Note that Marshall did not mark their stumps, and measuring is the only way to identify them. Also, stakes are identified OPPOSITE they way they are shown in the paperwork- so a L7 stake (the one that I have broken) is physically marked on the stake as 7L. This is important if you are hunting, and the seller may not know this...

I also found a closed eBay listing which included some K&D stakes along with the Marshall set- sizes are "in between" the Marshall sizes, and I added that note below as well. Good info for those needing a slightly different size.

Marshall Stumps.jpg

Marshall Stakes Listing.jpg

K&D Stake sizes compared to Marshall.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I finally, today, got around to placing the order. Seller combined shipping for me, so I only paid that once.

Smooth transaction so far, and these stakes are brand new, still in cosmoline! Grab them if you need them!

He could probably make a full set for you; but at $4 each, that could get pricey... He may do a special deal on a full set as well. Worth asking, if you have a nice tool with rusted, nasty stakes.

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/11/2020 at 11:59 AM, Tudor said:

I finally, today, got around to placing the order. Seller combined shipping for me, so I only paid that once.

Smooth transaction so far, and these stakes are brand new, still in cosmoline! Grab them if you need them!

He could probably make a full set for you; but at $4 each, that could get pricey... He may do a special deal on a full set as well. Worth asking, if you have a nice tool with rusted, nasty stakes.

I missed this whole thread...

But anyway, I too have a Marshall set and have purchased from this seller. His stock is stunning. I've never asked where he got it all but it sure is fun to look at. Still packed in cosmoline and wrapped in wax paper, in original crates.

Love my set btw.

Yes, mine were well coated but cleaned up perfectly. I have every available stake with none broken (yet). 

if I could get that incabloc spring done I’d feel better about it but there is no way you are doing something like that without this tool.