Seiko Quartz watch coil - alternatives/compatibility. Specific coil 4002 755.

AndrewM

Hello, I recently bought a Seiko 8123-8000 quartz watch and, on inspection, I suspect that the coil is broken (looks frayed in places).

I've looked for a replacement (4002 755) on Cousins, but they list it as obsolete (I wish they'd give a bit more detail!).

I've looked at similar movements, but, so far, they use the same coil.

My questions are, how critical it is to use the exact, same coil? How would I find an alternative? What values should I look to match with a replacement?

Obviously, the new coil would need to be the same physical size.

Any help with this would be appreciated. Thanks, Andrew

Only the correct coil will physically fit, so that is your only option. Your best bet is to look for another 8123, 8122 or 8121, all of which use the same coil (8123 day/date, 8122 date only and 8121 no day or date). You should be able to pick up a 'tatty' but running, gold plated version quite cheaply on eBay.......

• Like 1

4 hours ago, watchweasol said:

Regarding the problem  JohnD is right, only the coil from the same family will work as they are specific, Best source a donor module.  I have attached the service sheet which will give you the values should you wish to test the coil your self.

Seiko 8123A - Technical Guide.pdf 215.32 kB · 2 downloads

Thanks very much for your help. I'll have a sift through possibilities.

6 hours ago, JohnD said:

Only the correct coil will physically fit, so that is your only option. Your best bet is to look for another 8123, 8122 or 8121, all of which use the same coil (8123 day/date, 8122 date only and 8121 no day or date). You should be able to pick up a 'tatty' but running, gold plated version quite cheaply on eBay.......

Thanks John, much appreciated.

22 hours ago, Nucejoe said:

Repair shops here  re-wire watch coils and dirt cheap, either your old one is to be sent in or they might have one like it to re-wire,  so if no luck finding a new one, PM me.

Thank you. That's worth knowing.

• 6 months later...