Tool Storage and Workbench Organization Ideas...

I'm in desperate need of organization (which is probably the understatement of 2020), and although I have a huge workspace, I want it more organized and "5-S" so that what little time I get to actually work, will be better spent working and not hunting for things.

To help with this, I am planning to get my laptop in a somewhat accessible position. Also, I will add a new external hard drive. I have one in work, where I have my documents for watchmaking stored, and I keep hard copies at the bench. I may go "soft" with all of this, though I like to use the computer for diagnosing my car (it's main reason for being purchased) as well. My laptop does not use a docking station, but I have a spare monitor and the aforementioned drive which I could plug in before I power up. A docking computer would be more convenient...

So, I'd like to see examples of peoples well-organized work spaces. I understand "well organized" may significantly shorten the list... But I guess any "clever" ideas you have for storage and organization are welcome.

My contribution: My bench is a desk top, elevated on wood scraps, over an old kitchen table. I put a moving blanket on the table first, to protect it. But the neat feature (beyond elevated work top), is that I have an under-bench storage shelf now. On here, I keep my digital calipers, pens, sharpie and pad, roll of blue painter's tape, "big" tools such as pliers and "normal size" screwdrivers (the latter mainly for working on old stereo equipment). Probably other stuff I'm forgetting. It's handy, but out of the way.

I'm thinking a raised shelf toward the back of the bench would be good. I also purchased a 24X36" work surface (green mat) for a little more than the tiny one from Burgeon. I got it at the local art supply store so Amazon etc. would probably be even less. Alvin brand, made in Denmark I think. They have a larger size as well- you could cover your entire bench!

The last idea I have is to replace the cardboard boxes a lot of these extremely expensive tools come in with wooden boxes. Plenty of solid wood boxes out of China, and I could label them  (or not) so I know what's inside. My last tool purchase was a decent bench-top bracelet tool. (Actually cheap Anchor brand) which works just fine, but when assembled for use, doe not fit the original packing box. I'd like to put it in an appropriately sized wooden box, so I can open the box, check the set up and use it. Currently it's in the original box, to keep clean, with the original top resting on the top of the tool about two inches higher than the closed box...

5s-circle.gif

Edited by Tudor

• 3 weeks later...

This fell to the way side... but here’s the current “state of the art” on my bench...

the new work mat is draped over the chair because I have too many watches on the bench to make the swap now. Once they are secured I’ll tear it apart. 

FE82B75A-D8D2-46DA-96FA-8CEF69537B8A.jpeg

• Like 1

I would try to stack up some of your kit against the back wall unless you have somewhere else nearby to store it. The consumables like aerosols and tools you use less often (soldering iron) can be stored away. Cousins sell a nice timber organiser which has drawers, tweezers stand and pliers stand built in. I also use clear plastic makeup drawers for small tool storage which makes it easier to locate which tool is where. 
Make sure you plan where your lamps are going to be located. I have one bench lamp and also an uplighter to get diffused light in the room by bouncing off the ceiling. 

Thanks for the ideas!

Lighting is handled. I have two LED shop lights. One is on (I never installed the second) and you can see I also have a window for natural light on the rare occasion I can work during daylight hours. I am never wanting for light. My original plan was three of those fixtures: the one above and one on each side, to kill any shadows. But even with my fat head stuffed in a movement with a loupe, I can still see fine. Best money spent on watch destruction by far. 

Those clear and black plastic things in the bags are shelf units. Brand new “curb find” but I don’t think I’ll use them. 

The purple box (I have several in different colors) was to be parts organization; however, I use them as project boxes. It has several cells, and when I tear down a movement,  each cell gets a sub assembly and its screws. (See my Seamster 300 thread) Cleaning takes longer but assembly goes smoothly and quickly. No putting a screw too long it too short in the wrong location. So now I’m thinking larger boxes (like used for solderless electrical connector storage) in a rack is the hot ticket. 

But, yeah. I have tools, watches, consumables  and parts all fighting for the same space. It’s a big space but cluttered. I was thinking on the way to work today, to add a shelf across the rear with an LED strip light under it, to kill the shadow...

Out in the garage is the buffing wheel and press. 

Not showing mine at the moment as it is too full with unorganized stuff...:) You could check out this thread

I visited a friend of mine recently who opened a new working space(1st image), simple but efficient...his machines are behind me:), also a separate polishing and cleaning room. Maybe some of the images can be of help for better organizingIMG_0232.thumb.jpg.848ea54bf7fe33b9548529b6b60eb6ad.jpg

Screen Shot 2020-10-26 at 14.54.53.png

513ec880572c3ea15c7f6cedf0bbab01.jpg

Screen Shot 2020-10-26 at 14.55.30.png

Screen Shot 2020-10-26 at 14.55.53.png

Screen Shot 2020-10-26 at 15.03.13.png

Screen Shot 2020-10-26 at 14.56.06.png

Screen Shot 2020-10-26 at 15.13.43.png

Edited by Watchtime

That is so tidy. Mine always seems to be untidy with parts of watches, tools and part finished projects cluttering up the worktop. I purchase lots of movements for spares or repair so I have movements waiting for a case and cases waiting for a movement. These are usually kept on bookshelves in small labelled plastic boxes. Your disciplined work practice is to be commended

I put a drawer organizer (from IKEA) in that gap between top and the table top below it. Not much, but something...

I like the spice rack idea. I'm also looking at "cosmetics racks" which are low cost with lots of diverse storage.

I actually have a bunch of those Acro bins I can put to use. I just prefer everything be covered to control dust.

Edited by Tudor

Yes, I prefer to cover everything as dust is a problem when reassembling movements. That's partly why I aim to keep my bench very clean so it's easy to dust off. More clutter mean more place for dust to settle and risk flying into the movement as we know even a single speck of dust can mean trouble.

I'm planning on using this as my workspace as I start into Mark's course. It is in the living room. I spend all day on my own working from home and would prefer to be part of the family during the evening. I can be tinkering away in the background and just stop what I'm doing if I want to join in with them. I think I would much prefer that than being off on my own.

I'm not sure if I will have exclusive use of the bureau yet! I might have to find a way to easily move stuff around.

workspace.jpg