oil cup - agate cup - glass cup

Hello Clock and Watchmakers,

I have received this beauty today. Would you know how and where to buy the insert? The oil cup, which somewhere mentioned as agate cup somewhere as glass cup? I have been thinking about this for a while now as I have a lathe. One option would be to buy a stand with 3-4 cups and cannibalize them, but it would not be very cost effective. Any idea?

IMG_20201007_150531.thumb.jpg.ee15f01620d1ae988c98a4aa382c5685.jpg

Best regards,

Lui

Edited by luiazazrambo

Hi  That a vintage pot, Glass in a treen case, too good to use its a collectors item.  I made my own stand and used contact lens cases as oil pots. They have a hard plastic coating so as not to damage the lenses and screw caps. If they should become damaged  they are easily replaced at low cost. will post photo if required.

• Like 1

I have a vintage bergeon with four cups, the lid closes on them. Bought them used.

Beleive it or not, cups wear out, glass have gotten scratched up, pitted.

Be careful with it, I guess you should avoid poking the cups with the oiler don't use  screwdriver as oiler if you work on clocks. 

horotec has them too, white ceramic like MSA17.103-01 and red synthetic like MSA17.104-01, but it seems the British suppliers have none of them in stock. I guess there is not much of an interest in them.

I still want red glass, so I sent them a query to see if they would sell them separately, because they have them in MSA17.201.

Edited by luiazazrambo

Got a quick answer from horotec. They are really good. MSA17.201 is not produced by themselves and their supplier is not willing to sell the red glass cups separately. I bought an MSA17.201 from Walsh yesterday by the way.

Edited by luiazazrambo

Hi Luiazazrambo     attached below is the oil cup stand and oilers made from the contact lens cups and one of the workbench build at zero cost from redundant scrap cabinets. Made the drawer unit and modified the cupboard.  the oilstand also zero cost apart from the investment of time.

DSCF3472.JPG

DSCF3473.JPG

DSCF3475.JPG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I love everything what is made and not bought. I still asked Walsh to see if they can get me the horotec oil cups and what would be the cost. They came back to me offering the bergeon oil cups but that is just too costly for a DIY project. I sent an email back still asking for the horotec version.

I was even thinking that maybe I could do the glass oil cups by myself and watched glass forming videos today. ? Also read a story about a lady who started with nothing but with a box of broken glass and now she is a kind of famous glass jewelry maker. I just could use the MSA17.201 i ordered, but not received yet, which has the 4 red glass oil cups, but where is the fun in that? ?

walsh.jpg.d6fa77858d8fdd0c17aed42701e37762.jpg

I watched a youtube video posted by OH - i think - earlier about a clock repair and the guy made oil cups out of brass or copper rods. So that's another option. And another one i saw that a guy used red nylon rods and again a lathe to make oil cups - i dont know if it would react in any way with the oil / grease stored in it.

red_rod.thumb.jpg.2ec4c1c790ec13a53c4082d3759c600e.jpg

2 hours ago, watchweasol said:

Hi Luiazazrambo     attached below is the oil cup stand and oilers made from the contact lens cups and one of the workbench build at zero cost from redundant scrap cabinets. Made the drawer unit and modified the cupboard.  the oilstand also zero cost apart from the investment of time.

DSCF3472.JPG

DSCF3473.JPG

DSCF3475.JPG

Oh, Lovley watch den! ?

I managed to take this stand apart tonight. Lid and base are plastic, it has a rubber mat glued to the bottom and there is a weight glued to the rubber mat from the inside for stability otherwise it would be lightweight. It seems that the red glass oil cups glued into the holes, i could not remove them so it is not possible to replace them and there are only two sizes 2 x 2. The plastic body feels and looks the same way how those chrome? plated plastic toys look and feel. It is not produced by horotec by the way, but a supplier.

It was:

Subtotal£21.95

Domestic 1st class£3.00

20% VAT£4.99

Order total£29.94

It is small and seems to be stable. Its an upgrade for me, but some ppl probably would not like it. If I manage to turn that treen case thingy i might get the red glass cups out of it by braking the plastic case.

• 2 weeks later...