clean top and bottom plates

Willow

The case might be worth trying to re-guild it using Gold leaf which is not as difficult as one might think. There are many youtube vids showing how. The movement must be serviced and it must be perfect or it will not run. I have serviced many of these so a pic of the movement will be helpful if you encounter any issues. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi If you are going to work on 400 day / anniversary clocks  a good idea is to get hold of Twilligers 400 day clock repair guide,  Its the Bible,  (Available from Cousins)  it contains a lot of valuable information.  Depending how you feel both suggestions are feasable,   some pics of the movement front and back would be usefull.     Thanks

That,s great,  400 day clocks  I like they are mechanicaly simple but an absolute nightmare to set up., The clocks have to be clean and   oiled right and set up on the level . The suspension has to be good ,no kinks or twists and the correct length. That's where Twilliger'.  s book is essential  for gauging the spring and the fork position. They are great clocks and nice to look at I have at least half a dozen on the shelf      enjoy.

The only way is re-gilding. Gold paint will make it look odd against the movement. We only need a photo of the back plate to id it. Get one of these to help you to set it in beat when it comes to clean and oil the movement. Because of its long handle it gives you better precision to enable you set the clock in beat. 

s-l400.jpg

• Like 1

Hi   According to Twilliger's book  Plate 1406H  4 Ball pendulum Miniature clock  Uses a .0023"(.058mm) suspension  which is Unit 5E      Kieninger & Obergfell  alias  Kundo.   When you get you book look at page 132 for the details.  page 179 for the suspension details.

1 hour ago, Bod said:

Be aware that the suspension spring thicknesses refered to in the Twilliger's book, are Horolovar suspension springs only.   There are other makes, but these do not have the same size rating.

Bod.

Very good point Bod. Thanks for that. 

On 10/8/2020 at 10:59 AM, Bod said:

Be aware that the suspension spring thicknesses refered to in the Twilliger's book, are Horolovar suspension springs only.   There are other makes, but these do not have the same size rating.

Bod.

Good point I must admit I have only ever used  Horolovar springs.While on the subject of the spring it is absolutely imperative that the correct strength spring is fitted. If not you will run out of adjustment, and I have on occasions had to thin a spring to get more adjustment.