1960's Jaguar Small Brass Desk Clock

I was born in the summer of '69 but my grandfather died when i was only 5. Don't remember him too well.

I found this small clock while searching for some old certificates. He used to give them as a stocking fillers to his clients with the company name etched into the plinth.

I thought that after all these years no way would it work. Wound it, felt ok setting time and has been going since this morning.

I shall keep this on my bedside table as a reminder.

2015-03-06%2014.37.02.png

20150306_170515.jpg

20150306_170638.jpg

Only one jewel

20150306_170702.jpg

• Like 1

I can concur ro, my very first watch (over 50 years ago) was a diver style with the 8800 movement and I re-stored it and it runs perfectly with incredible accuracy. It too has great sentimental value my mum purchased it for me, total cost of approx. £5 + some tokens from Weetakbix boxes.

Edited by clockboy
  • Like 1

What a nice piece of memento to keep your grandfather in mind. The EB 8800 is a strong little engine and they even have one with 17 jewels, but its the exact same movement in the end...I've worked on many. Its fantastic when an item is able to come up from the past and and pull you in, while at the same time function to give you time in the present--the power of the mechanical timepiece.

JC

• 1 year later...

(Pictured) Same brand and movement as in Roberto's desk clock (God bless Roberto for helping me figure out the provenance of my watch, the movement within and the brand.  He helped me solve a decades-old mystery!).  There's only one main difference...mine has the 17 jewel EB movement which is basically the same as the one jewel movement shown in the pocket watch, save for the extra jewels...pin lever movement, the works!  These movements were used by an Italo/Swiss company called "Sindaco" quite a bit in cheaper "Swiss Made" watches and pocket watches...either under the Sindaco brand (the cheaper brand of the line) or "Jaguar"....the more expensive of their brands.  Using the Jaguar nameplate tied them up in court for years as the British car maker didn't like them using the name.  I think, however, that Sindaco won the day as the Swiss courts ruled that an animal's name could not be trade marked in their jurisdiction.  Sindaco ended up being swallowed by the Festina Group and the Jaguar brand survives to this day with a slightly different logo design.

15x346.jpg

Modern branding:

(Personally I like the older font in the original logo better)jaguar.png

Edited by stroppy

Hello Stroopy!

Glad to see you got the caseback open to see the movement. The Bettlach 8800 is used in a bunch of watches from the 70's as were Baumgartner movements. They're pretty good if taken care of....I have a few pin levers with 17J,  one is 25J, and of course one jewel. I have a LOT of spare parts if you need any.

Regards,

JC

Hello Stroopy!

Glad to see you got the caseback open to see the movement. The Bettlach 8800 is used in a bunch of watches from the 70's as were Baumgartner movements. They're pretty good if taken care of....I have a few pin levers with 17J,  one is 25J, and of course one jewel. I have a LOT of spare parts if you need any.

Regards,

JC

I have given up the idea of restoring the watch...the quoted repair cost and the cost of rechroming the case are both astronomical.  We're talking up to $AU600.  Just ridiculous.  Nope...the watch runs... I'll just keep it as is as a keepsake.

Thanks for your guidance.

I have given up the idea of restoring the watch...the quoted repair cost and the cost of rechroming the case are both astronomical.  We're talking up to $AU600.  Just ridiculous.  Nope...the watch runs... I'll just keep it as is as a keepsake.

Thanks for your guidance.

You're welcomed.

JC

Hello Stroopy!

Glad to see you got the caseback open to see the movement. The Bettlach 8800 is used in a bunch of watches from the 70's as were Baumgartner movements. They're pretty good if taken care of....I have a few pin levers with 17J, one is 25J, and of course one jewel. I have a LOT of spare parts if you need any.

Regards,

JC

good to knowaad8d48e1f988cc070eb6b0e55f99d5e.jpgf1c3c82bc10c072c097f217aa95014c5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk