Jacot tool and pivot file burnisher question

clockboy

20 hours ago, jdrichard said:

Watch Maker's Jacot Tool - Setup and Use https://youtu.be/f-8Vd2m-WBs

Thanks @jdrichard, I've seen it previously, it is very helpful, and I should have mentioned it in my post. What I found additionally useful in the video I linked to was that the Jacot was being used by someone who's probably been using it for hundred of hours. It gives you a good feeling for what speed and pressure to use. Of course, I wouldn't really know, but perhaps @nickelsilver could shim in if I'm wrong in my assumption!?

2 hours ago, VWatchie said:

Of course, I wouldn't really know, but perhaps @nickelsilver could shim in if I'm wrong in my assumption!?

Looks like a trained pro, and someone who frequently uses it.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, nickelsilver said:

Looks like a trained pro, and someone who frequently uses it.

I actually used my Jacot this weekend to straighten a pivot on the 24 Jewel Bunn special I have been working on. Great tool if used correctly.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

I have recently used a jacot tool to successfully re-polish a badly worn pivot in a pocket watch the first time in my life. I have watched Richard's videos about it and I also went to a book printed in the same year I was born in 1976.  This book is written in Hungarian and was one of the book used by the state sponsored and only one watchmaker school as far as I understand. (To my knowledge you cannot learn watchmaking any longer in Hungary as of now.) I scanned the corresponding pages as how to re-finish a pivot including the usage of a jacot tool. It was a great help to me so I thought I share these pages with you. After scanning the pages i sent the pdf through a pdf to txt engine then sentence by sentence I translated the Hungarian text to English. I learnt watchmaking in English and it might sound strange but the Hungarian name of the parts and methods were unknown to me. This added some more difficulty on top of the fact that my English is far from perfect. I am writing this because I am not sure how good the end result is. If anyone feels that could correct the text so it would be more readable or would make better sense please do so. Enjoy if you can. 🙂

jacot_tool.pdf jacot_tool_Kopasok_javitasa_magyar.txt jacot_tool_repairing_wear.txt

• Thanks 5

Great idea! I am going to attempt use of a Jacot tool soon and I will give it a full read through then. It looks like an excellent text, lots of illustrations. Nice job, that looks like a lot of work.

8 hours ago, luiazazrambo said:

I learnt watchmaking in English and it might sound strange but the Hungarian name of the parts and methods were unknown to me.

I find the "native names" to be lovely, a peculiarity of languages that are rich enough to have them. Thank you for your work, will read it with interest!

22 hours ago, luiazazrambo said:

I have recently used a jacot tool to successfully re-polish a badly worn pivot in a pocket watch the first time in my life.

Congrats! It's a great feeling to be able to improve the quality of something so small and so important for the optimum performance of the movement.

22 hours ago, luiazazrambo said:

This added some more difficulty on top of the fact that my English is far from perfect.

It would appear to me (although I'm Swedish) that your English is excellent and better used by you than by many English speaking people, whose texts I must sometime struggle to understand. I read through your translation and I had no problem comprehending it. I'm sure something could be improved but I don't think it would bring anything essential to the table. Well done and hats off! Thank you!

Perhaps the most important sentence in the entire document is...

"The handling of the jacot tool requires great practice, good tactile sense, light hands."

I have used my Jacot tool to restore a coupe of pivots in real projects, but I still need more knowledge, practice and experience. So your translation is a welcome addition.

Coincidentally I'm in the process of taking apart some scrap movements extracting wheels for Jacot tool practice trying to gain more and more skill. I just don't want to fail when that precious George Daniels or Philippe Dufour pivot comes along 😉

Edited by VWatchie

Here is another pretty good Jacot tool instructional video. It's seems a bit odd to me the he needs to be burnishing for such a long time though (quick short strokes with the bow). Hmm...

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/23/2021 at 11:04 PM, nickelsilver said:

You'd get slapped in watchmaking school with such short strokes.

Thanks for the comment! I noticed it because it was so dramatically different to seeing Philippe Dufour (I believe) handling the burnisher in the video I linked to previously, and I was wondering which approach would be considered best practice. It is indeed more difficult to move the burnisher in longer strokes, but practice makes perfect. Learning this technique I actually think I have an advantage as I used to play the violin with professional ambitions when I was young. That is, making the left hand and the right hand do two very different things at the same time.

Edited by VWatchie

Yes, Dufour went to school at a time when they spent 6 months doing pivotage. The director of WOSTEP when I was there is of the same vintage, he said his teacher would walk around and if your strokes were too short he'd shout "longer!" and maybe smack you with his pointer if a repeat offender, haha. The fellow who taught me learned with Dufour, so I never got yelled at at WOSTEP, thankfully!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1