Jacot tool and pivot file burnisher question

20 hours ago, jdrichard said:

Watch Maker's Jacot Tool - Setup and Use https://youtu.be/f-8Vd2m-WBs

Thanks @jdrichard, I've seen it previously, it is very helpful, and I should have mentioned it in my post. What I found additionally useful in the video I linked to was that the Jacot was being used by someone who's probably been using it for hundred of hours. It gives you a good feeling for what speed and pressure to use. Of course, I wouldn't really know, but perhaps @nickelsilver could shim in if I'm wrong in my assumption!?

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The burnisher removes a small amount of material. But that is not it’s purpose. It’s purpose is two-fold. It folds over the surface grains of metal which makes them smooth and achieve a polish. So thi

There were numerous funny little lathe-type tools made for refinishing pivots over the years, usually with one pivot supported in a cone center and the pivot to be polished sticking through a hole in

That all sounds pretty spot on. The Bergeon burnisher works much better haha. Especially for conical pivots, I think you'll find the Vallorbe is only good for large pocket watches (the radius is too l

Posted Images

1 hour ago, nickelsilver said:

Looks like a trained pro, and someone who frequently uses it.

I actually used my Jacot this weekend to straighten a pivot on the 24 Jewel Bunn special I have been working on. Great tool if used correctly.

• Like 1