Alf. W. Fuchs pocket watch info.

markr

I can't find any info on this name. Found at a yard sale yesterday.  I assume it's a jewelers name on a watch made buy someone else. Any help I.D. the movement or any other info appreciated. It's running great. Double hinge back.  Not solid gold.

IMG_4126.JPG

IMG_4127.JPG

IMG_4130.JPG

I think we might be looking at an Illinois grade 228 movement which, as you've already observed, has been branded by the jeweler who likely also cased it.  If I have time I can look up the case marks and see if I can give you the casemaker and gold content. 

https://pocketwatchdatabase.com/search/result/illinois/1996499

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, markr said:

It even has the same finish on the bridge. I'm not a pocket watch guy but I took a chance at $30.  I hope I did ok.

Well, the case is marked with marks I've seen before; there's some definite gold content.  At a guess, at least 14k.  But I think more than that. And 15 jewels are nothing to sneeze at.  Standard compensating screw balance, but the regulator also has the fine-tuning setup.  And it has a very pretty dial also.  And you tell us it's running great into the bargain. 

Yeah, man!  You did better than great.  That's a steal for $30!  Where are these yard sales you go to?!?!?  Holy smokes, man!  I haven't been that lucky in an age and a half!

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, KarlvonKoln said:

Well, the case is marked with marks I've seen before; there's some definite gold content.  At a guess, at least 14k.  But I think more than that.

Sorry not solid gold, but 'gold filled', see HERE for more information....

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, JohnD said:

Sorry not solid gold, but 'gold filled', see HERE for more information....

Good research there, JohnD.  I knew I'd seen the Star-and-Moon stamp before.  I should have remembered "Crescent" case (as in 'crescent moon') So it looks like not quite 14k after all.  Still, even many of the gold-filled cases can fetch a nice price, depending on workmanship.  And this one has a nice color, if the lighting is true. In all, I know I myself would readily pay more than $30 for that watch. But I concede, I tend to place greater value on the movement, rather than mere aesthetics or precious metal content.  Not all buyers do.

Edited by KarlvonKoln
Edited for clarity

1 hour ago, markr said:

Thanks everyone for your help. Not being a pocket watch collector this will probably be a flip or trade watch for me.  You all are amazing with all of your help and knowledge.

Hmmm...I think I may just have to keep my eyes peeled for it (after I see what my next paycheck will look like).

No no no no no.  I have enough of them.  I promised myself.  But that one is so pretty.  Ahhhh, dude, yer killin' me.

Edited by KarlvonKoln
Made an addition

You all did such a great job on the last yard sale find I'm posting this weeks find. I bought a Seiko sport and a Woman's polo club for $1 and they gave me the pocket watch for free because it was broken.  Is it gold?  I need a stem for it and the 937 in the photo. I tried to find tech sheets for them so I could find the parts number but no luck. Are they 2 piece stems?  I also need a stem for a ladies Hamilton 605. Any help on parts numbers so I can find the 3 stems would be much appreciated.

IMG_4145.JPG

IMG_4137.JPG

IMG_4140.JPG

IMG_4142.JPG

IMG_4143.JPG

IMG_4144.JPG

IMG_4146.JPG

• Like 1

The secret to yard sales is to ask twice.  The first time you ask they automatically say no.  When you ask are you sure you don't have an old watch inside that is when they start to think and then they remember. I have gotten hundreds of watches that way. Got a brand new Tissot with box and papers this weekend for $40.  A Zodiac last week and a vintage Movado the week before.  Getting cold in Milwaukee.  Yard sales will be ending soon.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...