Certina quartz, how to remove case back ?

I have a Certina quartz dress watch I would like to change the battery on but I can't figure out how to get the back off. I guess it's a snap on type but I can't see or find any groove for a case knife and the back is very tight. The watche used to belong to my father so I thought I'd check with you guys before wrecking any havoc.

56F7FFA0-96ED-4B47-9C5B-0667EC9058FE.jpeg

• Like 1

Hi  as a rule they are usually snap on unless they have the slots in the back for the removal tool and there again I have had some with the slots which were false and were snap on. Some of these can be very tight to remove. I had a Tissot snap on with no groove and had to use a tool, two types attached. They are usefull to have.

removal tool.jpg

back remover.jpg

Thank you guys for your answer, I've removed the strap and looked with magnification but I'm unable to see any notch or gap. If anything it looks like there is a small ridge in the case so you can't see the edge of the case back. 

I'm inclined to take the watch to a dealer to have the battery changed for this one ?

Edited by Flubber

Hi  Depending on you point of view it may be the best course in this case, but I would ask the question of the person who changes the battery if it is a snap on back for further reference.  The Investment of a proper tool for the job out weighs the price of battery fitting  (£10 £15) depending on where you go.  The price of a tool  £20 £40 .  Let us know the outcome.   good luck

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Partial answer. It is a solid gold case. It can not be opened from the back. I have been able remove the split stem crown and pop out the crystal but there is still a bezel that holds the dial in place and shows no immediate way to remove without damage. Maybe someone will know how to safely remove the bezel. 

the pic of the empty case was found online but know guidance on how they got it that way.  The other is what is on my bench right now

certina case.JPG

air popper.JPG

20221213_125118.jpg

15 hours ago, TimesatHand said:

It can not be opened from the back.

If you look at the tools that were being suggested it might've still been opened the back. Of course getting it back together again that might have been an issue. This is why any time you can't figure out how the Back comes off best proceed with extreme caution especially on Expensive watches.

15 hours ago, TimesatHand said:

split stem crown

Then just a warning about split stems. Most of them do just pull out with force but not all of them. It's been discussed on this message board before Medo for instance has one that if you yank it out well I had to fix it for the other watchmaker it took us one year to source all the components to put the thing back together again. So some of the split stems the movement has to slide out pulling hard is very bad

Then confusion on my part? Is your watch the exact same watch as this discussion? Then your sample picture is that the exact same case that you have?

Then a bit of a confusion because your movement isn't coming out it would be really nice to have a really nice side view picture of the case. Sometimes on the front side that can be separated from the rest of the case. But we need a really nice picture because otherwise it doesn't look like your dials coming out and I can't see if the resolution the picture why not so we need some better case pictures.

Better pictures don't really help but I included them.  I have scoured the case with my 10x loupe for at least 20 minutes looking for any sign of a "sweet spot" or any sign of separation.  According to the web site I took the sample pic from the two have the same case markings.  I am convinced it is a frontal removal otherwise why use a split stem. I think the inner bezel was meant to fall out, but time may have created a tighter than normal fit.  The watch is in such pristine condition I do not want to force anything especially without more certainty.  the customer is pretty desperate. It look like the only Certina service center is in Switzerland and I wouldn't know where to send our customer other than there. The slight scratching was from someone else.  Luckily they gave up before doing too much damage.

20221214_194418.jpg

20221214_194512.jpg