New date wheel not lining up... Sort of... NH36

Question

So I'm in the midst of my first ground up build and am (unsurprisingly) having some issues. I swapped the stock white day/date wheels from my NH36 movements for black ones to better compliment my dial. I then tested the functionality before putting the dial on and all seemed to me working correctly, however once the dial was on I discovered an issue. The date wheel isn't quite lining up correctly. Here's the weird part: when I use the quick set function they line up fine. It's when I set them via turning the hands (which I was doing in order to determine 12am so I could install my hand set) that the date clicks in place a little high. Also if I have the date set and lined up correctly via the quick set function and pull the stem out to the hacking position the date wheel moves and misaligns. Any ideas of why and how to fix it? Thanks!

Teracube_20200929_042448_5.jpg

Teracube_20200929_040103_4.jpg

5 answers to this question

Have you greased where it makes contact with the rest of the operating mechanism. Make sure when you screw the dial tight or it might have clips to hold the dial that it isn't fouling the works up. Check the dial feet to make sure they are not bent. This will sound silly to you, have you got all the parts in correctly. Did you replace any thing other then what you have said.  

On 9/30/2020 at 10:07 AM, oldhippy said:

Make sure when you screw the dial tight or it might have clips to hold the dial that it isn't fouling the works up. 

Seiko 5 dials don't have screws nor clips. They normally align very precisely thanks to a rising of the plastic casing ring.

Normally, the most common reason for calendar misalignment is due to using the wrong parts. The day disc has come with alignments for crown at 3h or 4h, and the date ring has two types of alignment depending on the mov.t version they were made for. All that is in my document below:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vRN2UULQKTfKmhRStZhDdIOIQrqd6sPB-g6x2SKyQQjOvTBjG_7TQXQhAT4f1WqAX5QAPkIimi-3jqd/pubhtml

That being said in the OP case it seems something has not been installed correctly so after the P/N check above attention must be given to  how the jumper engage to the date ring.

• Like 1

Thanks! I think that jumper spring may be the culprit. They are the correct day/date wheels and I haven't replaced anything except what I said in the OP. It is also possible that one of the dial feet may be bent but the dail looks to be pretty well aligned to me...