Escape wheel Pinion/Staff - help pls

Jr86

Hi all,
Im an hobbyist and I’m still learning how to service a movement. ?

while cleaning a Vintage tissot movement , the escape wheel pinion/staff detached from the wheel. I have no idea what to do, and how to fix it..
(I have no fancy tools..)

any suggestion ?! Thank you

69A9FC86-8005-40C3-B7E3-33BBF2BE1EC4.jpeg

35B40D95-8A46-4561-899A-018A4A031586.jpeg

EF55EAD6-177F-4757-BF9E-EF0BF7A02E1A.jpeg

063C9B69-B060-41EC-ADB2-582D78FE54B1.jpeg

Edited by Jr86

It should press right on but if it slid off that easily you probably need to close the hole a bit. Otherwise the power will spin the shaft faster than the escape wheel is letting it down. 

There’s a few ways to do that on “big” stuff but I’ve not had to do it on tiny stuff (yet), though I suspect a staking kit would be crucial to that operation. 

Normally you should peen the hole to get a good grip when you reinsert  the arbour on staking set.  Do not attempt this without the tool as you are sure to bend/ damage the wheel. 

It works if glued, clean, put the wheel on top of a scrap hour wheel to refit the arbour( you are using the hour wheel as an anvil) you can grab the arbour's upper section(not the pivot)  in tweezers to avoid damage to the pinion. refit, apply the smallest bit of glue to the pinion shoulder, try not to get any glue on the pinion. This wouldn't  get approval from any master watchmaker, just that works . 

The glue specially if super glue will in the long run chemically react/rust l and weld the two parts bonded permanently.

In case of mishap when gluing ,immediately soak in acetone and brush the glue off.

Good luck.

• Like 1