Chinese Tc 2824 Vs Swiss Eta 2824-2

The Swiss are going to learn a simple lesson - you cant control the market by restricting supply, people just go elsewhere. I still cant fathom what they hope to gain in the long run, bankruptcy perhaps? The only ace they hold at present is the general mistrust of Chinese goods regarding quality, an argument that used to be put forward about Japanese cars, motorcycles, electronics etc. etc.

• Like 1

Interesting video, and some good comments. Also some rather daft comments, probably from Switzerland.

There will undoubtedly be  those who will claim that the comparison is not scientifically valid because only one of each example has been scrutinised but there seem to be more and more such side by side reviews appearing (here's a good one; http://watchguy.co.uk/comparison-sea-gull-st2130-eta-2824-2-peacock-sl3000/)which are coming to the same conclusion.

So not only is the sample size growing, but the number of reviewers is also increasing, reducing the risk of bias.

I currently have only one Chinese based watch housing a UT6497 clone and I have to say that it is an excellent time keeper, and the finish, although not perfect, is still good enough to warrant a display back. I would have no qualms what so ever about buying another.

What the Chinese need to do now is to get in place a supply chain for components and parts because although the movements are easy enough to source, I don't think that the parts are, and where their parts are interchangeable with the Swiss parts they would stand to clean up after the Swiss pull the plug. 

• Like 2

Another interesting Vid.  It depends on how the Chinese are going to play it. Hopefully not but they might just supply movements & NO parts.

But if the movements are supplied at reasonable prices then no need to worry about ETA. It will be a case of being honest with the customer, no repair just change the whole movement.

One thing is for certain the swiss are playing a very dangerous game. Bad word spreads fast and customers who can afford £5k for a watch will soon catch these negative vibes. (If I have my way that is, letters are ready to be sent)

Hmm... I'm a have to get one of those to use for the Timezone course. I also wish the Japanese or maybe the Germans would take the initiative. The Chinese are perfectly capable of quality manufacturing, but you never know what you're going to get. The TC 2824 may be very good quality, but the Chinese even rip off their own companies. So if I buy a TC 2824, is it the real one or a crap clone of a clone?

Edited by Don
  • Like 1

A word of caution (& a slight contradiction to my earlier post). Upon further investigation it appears that the gentleman who is behind the video manufactures high end Rolex replicas/fakes (depending which side of the fence your on). Now I am not going to get judgemental as to if they are good, bad or indifferent, or the fact that the Rolex sub is the most copied, homaged, faked watch in the world, just an observation that a lot of these are reported to fall apart after a short while (not the gents in question I would add). Could the same thing happen with the new movement? I would suggest that a bit more rigorous testing would be in order, before any conclusion about the build quality can be reached.

• Like 1

I would suggest that a bit more rigorous testing would be in order, before any conclusion about the build quality can be reached.

Valid point BL.

It would also be interesting to see a batch of 100 or more put to the test and see how the results average out.

We cannot forget what happened with Japanese, that they passed from manufacturing of cheap copies in the years 50 and 60, to manufacturers of equipments with extreme quality (remember the tools, photo cameras and lenses, watch, etc.). They copied but they perfected and they developed his own technology that now is copied by other. Now, let's wait to know if Chinese will follow this road or they will continue flooding the market with cheap copies without quality. For the way, they are in the good road, now it is to pass from the copy to the own movement design.

• 3 months later...

The Chinese manufacturing industry is interesting. I think like many things the quality of product is dependent on the demands of the customer.

When I set up a coffee roasting business some years ago, the highest quality (and most desirable, and expensive) roasting equipment was from a German company called 'Probat', who had been supplying the industry for decades. Suddenly everyone noticed a small (but perceptible) increase in product quality around the end of the 90's. It turns out that they had off-loaded a lot of part manufacturing to China.

Obviously, the customer (Probat) had demanded a very high quality product - and got it,

Very recently I purchased 3 automatic oilers for £5 (the lot). They came from China. They were so bad, it turns out (after reading reviews) that they would have NEVER worked - so they went in the bin. Obviously the enterprising westerner who had ordered a gazillion oilers at the cheapest possible price had got what he paid for.

In terms of movements, if there is a market for 'quality' replicas of ETA calibres and spares (and nothing less), then I hope thats what we will get - in which case the Swiss can go screw themselves.