MST 521

Question

• Could some one please tell me if I have the date jumper on this MST 521  up the right way. It flew away when I took the cover plate off. Managed to find it and the spring but might not be so lucky next time....Thanksp1010002.thumb.JPG.d87cbc089645ed1864758db72b0fd294.JPG

2 answers to this question

• Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

• Topics

• Hi! Judging by your description of the mainspring, it appears it is bent or misshapen. This could be a possible problem and I would suggest you change it. By your description of the watch sound (galloping horse) and the high amplitude, specially for a Seiko, I would  agree this sounds like rebanking.    I would recommend trying to find a barrel complete assembly and replace, if you don’t have a mainspring winder. As trying to wind the mainspring by hand will likely damage it (specially the automatic ones with the bridle). I damaged many.    cheers and best of luck! 
    • This is how your spring should look. Your looks a bit bent out of shape, but as long as it pushes up in the correct place on the underside of the sweep second pinion, all will be good. As has already been said,  the brake spring (which is made from beryllium copper) pushes from underneath the pinion and needs a small dot of grease on the spring where it makes contact with the underneath of the pinion leaves. It tends to be obvious which way it pushes the sweep second pinion, either from the top of bottom, when you see the spring in place without the sweep second pinion. The spring will show it is pushing down or pushing up, unless it has been badly mis-shappened like yours.
    • That looks like a ratchet wheel problem. Perhaps it disengaged from the barrel arbor. Other possibilities would be a broken Mainspring, although that would be less likely if this is a relatively new movement. You have to remove the automatic works to get a better look. I have a video on YouTube on regulating the ETA 2824 (The Sellita SW200 is a clone of the ETA 2824) in which I specifically demonstrate how to remove the automatic works. This will give you a better idea on what's going on. Good luck     
    • I finished cleaning stakes and stumps (25 stumps) today. It is a complete set, no doubles and one broken. Very nice condition.    Some of the stumps were not easy to polish but it was worth it. I have everything grouped by type; I will clean up the box and re glue the Bakelite stake holder rack. One rack had broken, but I was able to reattach the piece, and I also flowed a bit of glue between the holders on the underside, so it was a sturdier piece. One broken holder happened in the past, and that piece wasn’t included for reattachment.    The tool itself got some love too. The guide was very tight (too tight) in the top so I took it out, polished it and reinstalled it after cleaning. Now it rotates tightly, but does not require pliers. There’s a leaf spring inside the guide to keep the stake in use from sliding down onto the work. That’s a nice touch. And it works. Die plate also got a light coat of oil, although the plate is pristine.    The box will be cleaned, oiled and then have furniture polish applied. I think after that, it’ll look good enough to not need a full tear down and refinish. 
    • I have often  pondered  this same question. But as far as I can figure the aftermarket  for dials other than seiko ETA miyota and ronda  movements  is non existant.  You should  be able to repurpose  dials  with a bit of experimentation.