1 hour ago, Geo said:

Without actually trying one, I cannot comment.  

All I can suggest is that you read the reviews and make up your own mind.  Sorry not to be much help with this, but without first hand knowledge, I don't want to recommend something that you may not like.

I Guess I should play it safe and go with the one you did like. Although gambling is what I do best :)  

• 2 weeks later...

Mine arrived today :) 

32243374001_cf6c76d3b0_k.jpgDSC04794 by Micky Aldridge, on Flickr

Having checked they work, I'm happy to report they do indeed work, however, with my old set up, I had my tubed lamps plugged into a remote control power lead extension, and I could easily switch on each lamp remotely, these LED lights on't allow for this due to not having a physical on/off switch.

Having press button micro switches, not only do I now need to switch each lamp on physically, the previous light setting brightness level is not stored, and therefore, not only does one have to switch each lamp on via the lamp's control panel, I will need to set each lamp's brightness each and every morning,  Oh humbug.

That said, I'm quite impressed with them thus far.

• Like 1

I use one of these as I don't have much room, and it was so cheap that I thought I'd take the risk. Lights well, though construction is quite flimsy:

http://www.iconiclights.co.uk/industrial-style-linea-led-clamp-on-adjustable-desk-lamp-with-included-bulb.html?gclid=CO6XqrGHztECFQsTGwodzpAEpw

19660_3.jpg

Edited by rodabod
  • Like 1

I've heard good things about this Arbe lamp and I was set to buy one, but I got laid off on New Year's eve. So I used some scrap plywood to make an arm for a light I built a while back. It has 6 strips of 36 SMD 5630 leds each. The arm is a bit ugly, but I'll try and pretty it up a bit. I got a chance to use it for the first time today. For the money, it meets my needs nicely.

bench-light02.jpg

bench-light01.jpg

• Like 3

16 hours ago, ro63rto said:

Don, did you mount the LED strips onto aluminium strips to help dissipate heat during long usage sessions?

Sent from my Honor 5c

The leds are pre-mounted on an aluminum strip and that is inserted into a channel with fins that I guess is a heat sink of sort. Here's a pic from the seller's site.

smd-leds.jpg

• Like 2

I use several lights on my bench.

- An original Luxo illuminated magnifier.  This has a 40W fluorescent light that surrounds the 3X magnifier.  It provides general work lighting and uniform object illumination when viewing through the magnifier.

- An IKEA JANSJÖ single LED work light.  This has a weighed base and goose neck arm that allows me to position the light at any angle to illuminate exactly what I need.  The flexibility and power of this lamp is well worth the inexpensive price asked by Ikea.

- A home built ring light on my microscope.  This uses an aftermarket angel eye projector for an automobile HID headlamp and it mounts coaxially with the objective of the microscope. It provides a very very uniform and bright illumination to the work under the microscope, whether that is electronics or watches.  I love this worklight.

SrXzsLw2Eu-iQN1naf1lp7c0evk07X4Xqw7Gk3ny

If I had the possibility, I'd gladly trade the ring light for an AZIZ light from Tangent Audio, but unfortunately this thing is made from unobtanium.

Edited by robmack
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, adiorio110 said:

Don

Nice job on the bench and the light. I built my own bench also, wish I thought of building the light, I might do it if I need another lamp.. I did decided to purchase the light that was recommended by I believe GEO. 

Anthony

IMG_2096.JPG

Thanks, Anthony. I love your bench. How wide is it?

On 1/7/2017 at 4:49 AM, Watchtime said:

26 minutes ago, Don said:

Thanks, Anthony. I love your bench. How wide is it?

Thank you...I made it 33 X 18  inches, I figured more room could't hurt. I am getting ready to sell my house cant wait to move. When I do I want to build a full height standalone bench, should be a nice project. 

That's nice and wide. Mine is only 21" wide. That must be a huge monitor.

I think it will be some time before I have the space, but I'd like to build a full sized bench too. Both for learning more woodworking and to save money. Just a standard bench is $700-800. Even if I screw up and have to do it twice, I think I can still beat that - and have it personalized to my liking. :biggrin:

• Like 1

On 1/7/2017 at 4:49 AM, Watchtime said:

2 hours ago, Don said:
1 hour ago, Don said:

That's nice and wide. Mine is only 21" wide. That must be a huge monitor.

I think it will be some time before I have the space, but I'd like to build a full sized bench too. Both for learning more woodworking and to save money. Just a standard bench is $700-800. Even if I screw up and have to do it twice, I think I can still beat that - and have it personalized to my liking. :biggrin:

Seems we have a few of the same interest. I like to mess with some electronics, wood working now watches.. In general I like fixing broken stuff I am not an expert at anything, but in most cases I can hold my own and get the job done. Thank god for the internet.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/7usqy0ib4hvkib0/AACtQqWU04bhn6NQHfj6ODiIa?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/08brzllftklna5e/AADl5_GJa_vP2TGEyAYat8Cna?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/0pbn62e9klcmfzk/AABpDiBtUh4J0X11BwOkmSpua?dl=0

• Like 2

14 hours ago, adiorio110 said:

Don

Nice job on the bench and the light. I built my own bench also, wish I thought of building the light, I might do it if I need another lamp.. I did decided to purchase the light that was recommended by I believe GEO. 

Anthony

IMG_2096.JPG

very nice bench that is, well done...

On 1/24/2017 at 10:08 PM, adiorio110 said:

Seems we have a few of the same interest. I like to mess with some electronics, wood working now watches.. In general I like fixing broken stuff I am not an expert at anything, but in most cases I can hold my own and get the job done. Thank god for the internet.

That guitar is great! You woodworking experience far exceeds mine. My bench was the first project of any complexity that I've build. I've got lots to learn!

On 1/26/2017 at 1:35 AM, Don said:

That guitar is great! You woodworking experience far exceeds mine. My bench was the first project of any complexity that I've build. I've got lots to learn!

Don

Thanks. Like I said I'm not an expert and really haven't done many projects with wood other than basic repairs. Its not as hard as it looks. I don't mind buying the right tools for the job. I am sure if you have the right tools you can do at least as good a job. Judging by your desktop, I'd say you have the chops.  My basic outlook on things is, "If someone else can do it, I can do it also" Maybe not the first time, but if I keep at it I'll get it. I think anyone with the right outlook and determination can do anything. Just most people are lazy and/or only comfortable doing what they know.

With all the forums and YouTube videos on any subject your interested in, you can't miss. 

Regards

Anthony

• 2 weeks later...

Today has been my first official day working with these LED lamps, I've been trying them out on their default setting, and have noticed a couple of observations with them..

Whilst checking the gear train of a movement, whilst it running, the LED lights kind of give a strobe effect to the naked eye.  

Another observation, is when I go to take a photo with my camera, the screen on my camera shows a seriously off-putting flickr which is restricting me from seeing the viewfinder before capture.

I will try the lamps on the other settings to see if this is the the norm.  I guess I have become so used to the old tube daylight lamps I had, these LED lamps, whilst great, this is going to take some getting used to.  Not shot any videos under the LED lights yet, so hope they don't cause a flicker issue.

EDIT> I just checked with the LED on its brightest setting, and the flickr on my camera's viewfinder is pretty much gone, there is a tiny bit of the flickr still, but its way less obvious now.

Edited by SSTEEL