Hello, I work in lighting and I find that old school lamp with a adjustable neck fitted with a 100 cree LED A19 daylight 5000k bulb works well for me. I can adjust it at any location to get the right angle of light. WE have 4000 lumens bulb with standard socket that I want to try but I am afraid it may light up the entire house.

HI -

I retrofitted this old lamp with twin LED tubes, a bit expensive compared to using an A19 bulb, but it works a heck of a lot better than it did with the original twin flourescents.

Cheers!

post-1200-0-57779900-1457551518_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Im still in the process of trying bulbs. I like daylight 5000k minimum 100 watt any brand will suffice. I also like phillips 100 but they are pricey. Can you adjust that lamp to see at any angle.If you can that might be a better choice.

The lamp is adjustable, you can move it into just about any position you want. And yeah, the box on the left is a fake Gerstner from Costco, the boxes on the right are cheapie unfinished boxes from Michael's crafts that I finished and lined with felt to (sort of) match the toolbox. 

Cheers!

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

Well I'm back off holiday and have now had a chance to take a look at the lamp.

I tested the strip of LEDs that apparently failed and they all work individually. But agitating the first led in the failed strip caused them all to come on. So i re-soldered that LED to the plate and all is well again.

a695d53f513adcf2ba40600a051da571.jpg9605e48a82f1920ac784dd67e0299845.jpg9e73247032a1400294c415b446eeb9b1.jpg423e590dc805abf726a10a02feebf6a5.jpg85f47a4d7d83a42375922e52aeeea0b3.jpg

Sorted

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 4

• 3 months later...

I've been playing with different LEDs to make a cheap DIY bench light. I got 5 .5m rigid LED strips for about $13. 180 5630 SMD LEDs in total produce a more than adequate amount of light. It beats the crap out of the small LED desk lamp I'd been using. I've just got to figure out a wooden or aluminum mounting system.

bench-light-test.jpg

• Like 1

@Rafal

Thanks! It's supposedly 5000k daylight. In reality, it's a little on the cool side. Even though I prefer warmer lighting, I've found that I see watch parts better under cooler light.

@ro63rto

It's not color correct. Both the color rendering and apparent brightness are better than in the photo. I'm thinking of getting a set of warm LEDs of the same type and mixing 3 cool and 2 warm.

@oldhippy

I really want to stick to LED, but that fluorescent light seems like a really good deal at Ofrei.

2 hours ago, vinn3 said:

$70 experment?  ill go blind first.   the original watchmakers used sun light thru the window.   Vinn

Omar was referring to the lamp from oldhippy's post. Looks like a pretty nice fluorescent light for the money.

sorry,  let me  re fraze my  coment on lighting for watch bench work.   light from two lamps, a combination,  one fluorescent and one regular bulb,  will provide good lighting without glare.  has for years.   whatever doesen't cause eye strain.

On 7/5/2016 at 6:47 AM, ro63rto said:

Don. Is it the photo or is that colour correct?

Looks very blue. If so you may find it strains your eyes after prolonged use and, if used late at night, cause you to take longer to fall asleep.

whoa! i didn't realize the falling asleep part! good to know. i've never heard of that before.

Definitely something to keep in mind. If I read on my tablet before bed, I turn on the 2700k night mode and set the screen brightness to -35%.

I prefer warm lighting for almost every other application - I even buy warm tinted led flashlights. The desk lamp I was using had a warm and cool setting. I just found that I saw the small parts better with the cool setting.

• 5 months later...

Geo 

How do you think this lamp will compare to the one you posted. I was about to buy it when they raised the price $40 after I showed interest and sent a question asking if it was available in 110V. 

So I decided to look at other options. 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00L6PWMN6/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=16BLQ4Z4HEAFL&coliid=I2J4T881CDTNSJ

Without actually trying one, I cannot comment.  

All I can suggest is that you read the reviews and make up your own mind.  Sorry not to be much help with this, but without first hand knowledge, I don't want to recommend something that you may not like.

Geo 

How do you think this lamp will compare to the one you posted. I was about to buy it when they raised the price $40 after I showed interest and sent a question asking if it was available in 110V. 

So I decided to look at other options. 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00L6PWMN6/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=16BLQ4Z4HEAFL&coliid=I2J4T881CDTNSJ

There's no way to pivot the light in the horizontal plane ie it's always facing straight down.

Sent from my Honor 5c