Just Finished This One For My Wife!

DJW

First off, let me say I've thoroughly enjoyed the YouTube videos from the "Watch Repair Channel" and more specific, I've enjoyed listening to you, Mark. I've been tinkering with watches now for about 7 years and am self taught. I really wish I could have gone to school to learn the trade, but it was not in the cards!

This is one of my latest creations. I hand painted the dial myself and overhauled the Hamilton 917 movement. It is fitted in a 44mm stainless steel case with a matching Leather strap. My wife loves it!

post-90-0-66901700-1392213941_thumb.jpgpost-90-0-19354400-1392213954_thumb.jpgpost-90-0-61467800-1392213964_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Very nice - my son just gave it a thumbs up ;) (he's an art student).

Out of interest - do you finish the dial with anything after painting for protection?

Thank you! and tell your son thanks as well!

as far as protection, that's something I'm dealing with right now. I put about 10 coats of varnish on the dial, but varnish remains soft. So, whenever I have to disassemble the watch I have to try and not touch the dial as it will leave a mark, or scratch. This is particularly difficult when removing the hands.  The technique I use is to use a Presto type hand remover and just place the tool directly under the hands and pull up, not ever touching the dial.

I'm looking at a clear enamel paint that dries hard to replace the varnish that I use now.

How about a clear acrylic lacquer. I would think that would dry hard as nails.

I have tried painting dials in the past with pretty bad results, but it is something that really interests me.

It's funny you mention that...I just ordered a number of different clears to test and that is one of them. 

I'm amazed at your artistic talent,  the Hamilton's are very nice as well.

RogerC

Thanks Roger! I'm trying to make a go at it as a business too! But, it's been slow going ;-(

If you have any ideas that I should try, don't hesitate to throw them my way!

Don

I'm trying to make a go at it as a business too!

I know somebody who did something similar with the old Smiths 1215 movement and they have been very successful.

They were retailing at around £4k a pop and numbered as exclusive pieces. So you could be on to something if you get the marketing and promotion right.

I know somebody who did something similar with the old Smiths 1215 movement and they have been very successful.

They were retailing at around £4k a pop and numbered as exclusive pieces. So you could be on to something if you get the marketing and promotion right.

Let's hope so! I've taken this year off work to give it a go! I have about 6 months left to prove to myself that I can do this...

Don

Just curios,  where do you get the Hamilton watches from,  they appear brand new.  If it's a trade secret just ignore my curiosity.

RogerC

Hi Roger,

Early on I would bid on them on the "Giant Auction site". Typically, I was winning them at around $80-$100us. But lately, I've been trading repair work for movements that need some sort of repair, usually a broken staff. Believe me, I do get some real dogs as well.

Amazing artistry and the gem of it is that you have a piece that no one in the whole world has, unique to the person who owns it. It's got to be a winning business just on that fact alone. Nice to meet you DJ.

Hey, Thank you!  

How about gold leaf?  I was just thinking about covering the whole dial in it,  there would be the hour markers to think about,  but there are not many watches with a gold dial.

Come to think of it,  Rolex could fit solid gold dials for the money they charge,  but I don't think they do.

RogerC

Out of interest, where do you get the cases from? I often see pocket watch movements for sale with no case - particularly hunters - and think it would be fun to recase them. My Hamilton Khaki movement is a mechanical ETA 6497 and it looks fine in a wrist casing.

How about gold leaf?  I was just thinking about covering the whole dial in it,  there would be the hour markers to think about,  but there are not many watches with a gold dial.

Come to think of it,  Rolex could fit solid gold dials for the money they charge,  but I don't think they do.

RogerC

I've never thought of that! I could apply leaf to certain areas of the dial such as the outer chapter ring...it has some interesting possabilities...

Out of interest, where do you get the cases from? I often see pocket watch movements for sale with no case - particularly hunters - and think it would be fun to recase them. My Hamilton Khaki movement is a mechanical ETA 6497 and it looks fine in a wrist casing.

Most of the cases are from China. Sime are sourced from the US, but are actually Swiss Made. I really like the large size wristwatches with these vintage movements. 

Could be something similar to this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Parnis-44mm-case-fit-6497-6498-movement-/271183993444?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f23d35a64

Very nice dial painting by the way. I wonder how much you will retail these at? I probably couldn't afford one anyway.

These are simular to the cases I use. Even among asian produced cases, there is a wide range in quality on the case finishes. The case in the listing that you linked was produced for the counterfeit market. If you notice on the side of the watch case there is limited edition engraving...117/1000. There are thousands and thousands of these flooding the market. BTW, this case was produced to make counterfiet IWC F.A. Jones Models. Thse can be had for around $30us from suppliers in China.

That's cool - very impressive.

Just a thought: have you ever considered doing the painting slightly smaller, inside an inner chapter ring, and with a painted egde, with conventional numerals or batons in the outer chapter? That would give the effect of an old-fashioned miniature painting as part of a watch face. Might be cool as well...