Some new clocks to the workshop

Squiffything

Hello guys it’s been a while and life has changed here in Squiffyland.

i lost the Saddlemakers apprenticeship having been furloughed since March. Not enough work coming into the workshop. Had to have the dog put down after a growth was found which ruptured his spleen. Oh and Mrs Squiffy has decided the wants a separation which will probably mean I will lose the house and therefore my shed And workshop/office. 

......still it’s not all bad, I had a nice little run down to our local antiques barn and was allowed to have a rummage in the back shed for projects (cheap and the sort

of stuff they will not repair). Came across a couple of possibles with potential.

Firstly an Art Deco style mantle clock.

Then an old American wall clock. The wood on this one needs some veneer work and the glass has some paint flaking with one section missing and the usual makers sheet has all but gone so no idea who it’s by. I have managed to get both running and chiming. It’s and old one probably around 1840 - 1860’s run by weights and pulleys with a car starting handle instead of a key!

Finally a large pocket watch. I think this one may have had it and definitely beyond my scope. My best guess is that it has been left on someone’s mantle piece over the fire and this has taken its toll. Amazingly it still keeps perfect time!

Well it’s not as well as it could be but life for a wannabe Clock repairer still goes on and I keep trying to fix/make/repair things and always try to keep smiling ?

E395EBF0-FC5D-42C3-97CB-05E95B32DBF3.jpeg

52CEA44F-C98A-42FB-B1D9-2544F6625088.jpeg

50B80A9E-8009-4389-9DC0-5B6DFB1E9B33.jpeg

1D7D4BEB-E75E-4B03-8E24-0799A8D78360.jpeg

Nice to hear you are looking on the positive then the negative with all the things that are happening in your life squiffything keep up the good work with the clock repair not seen anything like that large pocket watch before think oldhippy would have a few problems with that one ?

Hi Karl, yes it is reverse painting though the paint is now very dry and coming away from the glass. I’m reluctant to do anything with it which might make it worse. The good thing is it’s one place and all one colour so if a definitive match can be made it could be filled. Not sure what to do about fixing the old paint to the glass.

The wall clock is called an American Ogee, that is because of the shape of the front outer edges curved into an s shape. You are not far out with the date, they started in the 1830's. The glass painted panel's can still be bought from new. As it runs on weights I expect it is an 8 day.  

I believe it’s a 30 hour ogee (or OG) I’ve found a few references from a few makers with the same picture. It’s the Capital at Albany NY. It would be a shame to replace the original pic. It’s quite primitive which adds to its charm. A couple of close-ups to show the damaged areas (or as the antique sellers would call it, ‘its patina’ )

image.jpg

image.jpg

Hi Luiaza, yes it looks familiar on the face.

my understanding of these were that they were mass produced out of cheap materials so that the poorer folks could afford a time piece in the home. The case is very low grade wood with a veneer applied it also used the cheaper pressed metal mechanism case again making it cost effective to mass produce. I’ve got some suitable veneer to tidy up the wood and I’ll re-stick the areas that have bubbled up. I think it’s a leave the dial alone situation on this one and the juries still out on the glass until I can find a solution to reattach the lifting paint.